- FIFTY-FIVE -

五十五 A 'romance' unfolded

Entering the palace, they were immediately presented with the gloomy aura surrounding the high palace walls; imperial maids and eunuchs dealt with each work quick and tidy, afraid that one noise would hack their neck to death; a sight to behold was seen- numerous concubines sobbed out beautifully and in high pitch tone as if they were fighting for the most mournful cry.

Meng Jia Yi's knees were throbbing in pain, it has been half an incense of time since they entered the royal temple and prayed for the Emperor's health.

In a side-eye glance, she saw Fu Jun Bei's paperwhite face as he bowed for the nth time, sweat has already accumulated on his forehead as the heat began to increase. The other two princes were crying their hearts out and devoting their bodies to the unsmiling Buddha; Fu Jun Long, the prince that had let the Emperor's ailment rose, begged lowly for the health of his father Emperor. Fu Jun Zhong on the other hand looked comical, it was obvious to everyone that he couldn't cry and it was all an act.

"Are you alright?" She heard Fu Jun Bei murmur.

"I am, is your highness well?" She asks in return, she was rewarded with a painful smile.

Anyone could see that the third prince looked like his soul has left him, he didn't cry but his face was enough for anyone to feel pity for. A smile is much uglier than a cry.

"Your majesty will be well" she scooted a bit closer to him, trying to lend her shoulders for him to lay on.

"My wife is too kind"

Two figures blended into one, the slender young woman silently supports the outstanding scholar in his lowest point.

Maids of such young minds saw the loving couple of the famous scholarly third prince and the peasant turned Phoenix wangfei. Seeing the third prince laying his shoulder to his wife created ripples in their heart, envy corroded their minds that they didn't think that it was another scheme of the two heaven-defying couples.

Fu Jun Fen was kneeling in an inconspicuous corner, seeing the two figures before him, he sneers internally, his third brother clearly knew how to use his mask of humane self to deal with cold-blooded people.

Just like him, he wasn't acting like a gentle, warm-hearted scholar but a weak, timid abandoned prince. They all wore masks and sometimes, it has become so ingrained in other people that they thought it was their real selves.

It soon dawned on them the hunger, the sun was high up in the sky and their stomachs has began to howl in hunger yet they still stayed and prayed. Those that couldn't bear the hunger passed out such as the spoiled young princesses and the three contending princes have their backs still straight.

Meng Jia Yi noticed in the corner of her eyes the fourth prince, it was said that he was an unlucky prince that was spared only by a distinguished member of the Rites bureau.

His face was pale and thin compared to others, hollowed cheeks and body deprived of nutrition; those eyes were calm like the sea before the storm barges in and when she was about to look away- they met eyes.

'He's the same as them' she thought.

'She's a curious one' he mused.

Meng Jia Yi never had the thought that a child born into the imperial palace would still retain their humanity what's more their innocence. That is why she was fortunate that Fu Jun Bei doesn't seem to want a child from her by his direct action of sending her avoidance soup. No matter the reason, she was thankful for it.

With dozens of novels she's read, she knew that this man was not simple. They say those that can mask their strength are much stronger than those who are flamboyant of their wealth and intellect.

Meng Jia Yi was about to stand up on her own when an arm fall into her vision followed by the gentle, pampering smile of Fu Jun Bei.

She gripped the arm tightly and stood up with quivering legs. "Thank you, husband" she hid away the sarcastic sneer in her face and followed him.

The maids gushed out in enviousness after seeing the golden couple in front of them, according to the rumors the third prince greatly favors his wife. There was no concubine in the third prince's yard, it was clean and only has her as the woman of the third prince further arousing the jealousy of women.

Some palace maids' minds moved but it wasn't the time yet, they would be better to death if they try to move their hands and feet when the Emperor is dying.

"You must eat more" Fu Jun Bei handed a chestnut jelly to her plate. "Be healthy, that is your husband's wish"

A smile was enough to make any woman's girlish heart blossomed in infatuation- but not the rational modern, Meng Jia Yi.

"Husband should also eat, I'm afraid that you will catch a cold so I will tell the kitchen to boil some soup for you" like a devoted wife, she ushered about his health. "I will be asking for a peace talisman to the temple tomorrow, your highness should wear it"

Her cheeks were softly grazed by him, a scumbag like him was truly skilled in sweeping a girl's heart. Even the noble and talented Shu Aifen has fallen under that mask of his.

As soon as the dishes were brought up by the maids, they walked to the familiar path and met ways with the first prince. His face was still ghastly pale and there was a terrifying silence that befalls him.

Meng Jia Yi's mind couldn't help but tick, her work as an author provided her with events that could happen in the future such as rebellion.

"Greetings to your highness, the first prince and her highness" she greeted politely, XiXi was not with her for only the royal family is allowed to enter the imperial temple.

"Greetings to the third prince-"

"There is no need, your highness, your body is more important" Meng Jia Yi interrupted her, Ji'an Yue couldn't bow down due to her belly.

The first prince has his wife with him, the daughter of Marquess Ji'an. Her belly was already protruding and it was also the reason why the Emperor was even more focused on the first prince.

In that way, the Second prince Fu Jun Zhong is in the middle of a marriage talk; their mind conjured up the idea that the Emperor is at the age where he wants the company of his grandchildren and they took that as an advantage.

After greeting, the two pairs left and went to each of their destinations; there was still a five-minute walk before they could arrive in the temple.

"Does my wife like children?"

This question stunned her but she answered swiftly. "Of course, but I do understand the situation we are in your highness. I could wait, your highness' we'll being is more important" still that amicable tone but her heart was tightly clenched.

"Oh, I like children but my wife is right" Fu Jun Long faces her and if he wasn't an insidious, two-faced man she would have liked his face more. "My wife would have to suffer then, sigh, your husband is such a failure"

"Your highness... we still have a lot of time, there is no pressure" her hands are tightly held by his large palm. "I already content on your highness' love for me"

Cheeks aflame, her chin almost met her chest followed by the sudden laughter that came from Fu Jun Bei.

Notes:

Pheasant turned Phoenix means someone of low birth changing their fate and becoming rich or noble.
Avoidance soup is a medicine that prevents a woman from conceiving, typically brewed for concubines.

***
Chapter 55 is up!

Meng Jia Yi must have been relieved to drink that avoidance soup, she was after all someone who will not bring an innocent child into this turmoil even if it would solidify her position. What do you think about their acting? Does seems believable that even the maids have been bewitched by the gentleness of Fen Jun Bei?

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!