- SEVENTY - FOUR -

七十四 Wise and Cunning but a woman

It has been three days since the bet and Meng Jia Yi has already crafted a plan in her head- one that they will be unable to reject once more and that is a book for the English alphabet with a comprehensive list that describes the word of an alphabet with its portrait on the right side corner.

Meng Jia Yi was a native modern woman who has to grapple with the globalization happening in the world and thus, has to subject herself to the English language. It was also fortunate that she is interested in writing and that she read various genres from different countries to stable her foundation in writing.

Chen Zuo was like a fly to a moth, coming back to her now and then and when he saw the finished draft in her hands, he was conquered.

"Is... Is this?" He was looking at her with a mouth that can fit a bird inside emitting a surprised look on his face. "You did this?"

"I did, is young master Chen dubious of my talents?" Lips curled as her eyes watched the young man staring at her as if there was no tomorrow.

With a clap of her fan, the dazed young man finally reacted and went to her side with a foolish yet victorious smile.

"You are truly a genius Ms. Nabi! That boring gourd Rou Fen must be having his stomach ache in regret after he sees this! Ha! That fool!"

As the road develops between the two countries, it has also developed another trading with the Western nations. The only thing that made them have not much advantage is the barrier of communication that arises between two countries with complete differences in language.

With this manual, although not it could not fully let them develop to be fluent speakers, at least it would lessen the difficulty that they would encounter when trading with the Westerners. It will also allow them to trade with other bigger merchants, have a conversation with the leaders of the merchant ships and have wider opportunities.

Chen Zuo laughed just imagining the regretful look on that once mighty and prideful Ruo Fen. It delights him so much just from thinking of it that he promises the powerful woman in front of him a necklace.

"Ms. Nabi, for your victorious win, I will send you a necklace with jewels that only a princess can afford!"

The corner of her lips raised seeing the realization of Chen Zuo, it was after all very valuable information and if this shows to the market it will undoubtedly raise a bankrupt business to once again ann ominous business.

"Young master Chen, only a necklace befitting only for a princess? With what I know I could just create another manual and give it to other businessmen"

A cunning look flash on Chen Zuo's face and it was then changed to a frivolous expression, one that could hook any soft-hearted woman's heart. But not Meng Jia Yi.

"Ms. Nabi, how about becoming my second wife?"

If it was any other Yiji they would have embraced him with happiness; being the second wife of Chen Zuo was enough to provide her a life filled with only leisure and wealth. One could easily be attracted by the title of a second wife, one more chance to have your son as one of the heirs and be a rich woman in one night.

"Young Master has not changed at all. But you must have forgotten my name- it is Nabi. A butterfly will only fly to different flowers, not stay to only one"

"Good! Good!"

Chen Zuo clapped seeing the arrogance and confidence in Nabi's eyes, she was more delectable in his eyes that he couldn't help but want her to himself. But a melon that is forced will not taste sweet, he still has to wait- a price that is gotten through a laborious task is much sweeter after all.

...

Ci Xi watched in excitement as she saw the young master that left her miss's quarters. A man who has pride in his brows, his every bone carved in aristocracy, and a typical jaded man with sharp features and alienated eyes. He is young master Feng, the man that will visit her mistress even rain or shine. The month will never be finished without getting a visit from Young master Feng.

"Miss, young master Feng has arrived again, is he going to make you a concubine?"

She didn't see her mistress's eyes narrowing slightly in the corner nor could feel the drop in the atmosphere- all she knew was that her mistress can be redeemed and will be able to live in a nobleman's mansion.

"What are you thinking about? Silly child"

Ci Xi looked at her mistress and has taken away the giddy feelings that burst into her heart; there was a smile on her mistress's face yet it never reached her eyes- she has never seen that genuine smile.

Sometimes, Ci Xi feels conflicted about what to feel around her mistress. Ci Xi was grateful for her mistress's kindness that took her out of her miserable state before but she could see the alienation behind that kind, wise eyes.

Just like Young master Feng who emits an aura of not letting anyone in while her mistress could be closer to anyone, her eyes were flat out of emotions.

Meng Jia Yi saw the confusion in Ci Xi's eyes, she didn't want to be soft-hearted anymore and be hurt. Her only reason for becoming a courtesan is to bring back her family in exchange for information.

Now, two businessmen have been caught in her net, she only needs to wait till they bit into her net before hoarding them out.

"This servant is seeking forgiveness for her impetuousness to her mistress" Ci Xi bowed down low, Meng Jia Yi naturally ordered for her to be punished for three days; one where Ci Xi would not be allowed to talk to her mistress.

Ci Xi and Xi Xi are two different people, their aura and names are just similar to one another but they are not one person. Meng Jia Yi us just deluding herself that saving Ci Xi was like saving XiXi.

In the end, she went back to her quarters after giving out the updates on her task. Young Master Feng has already made a move to the capital, becoming one of the rising business chains that are growing every month. In this way, they have finally gotten to the capital, she has already gotten the information she wanted and two business opportunities in her hands.

It's only a matter of time before the designated spots began to move.

Notes:

Courtesans could, and did, marry their patrons or clients (even among the upper-class elite, despite the legal interdict) while common prostitutes could be bought as concubines and function in well-to-do households as second wives
When you force a melon from the vines, it won't be sweet means it's not productive to force something to be done

***
Chapter 74 is up!

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!