一 FORTY- TWO 一

四十二 Spring is here and so is he

Since the marriage of the Second miss of the Meng clan, Meng Jia Yue, it is only the third Miss Meng Jia Yi that is still inside the estate of the Meng clan, waiting for her marriage to arrive.

Meng Jia Min's matter became the topic of all the common people, the joke of the nobles and a warning towards the not so demure young lady to tame their tyrant ways or else their marriage would be broken.

Naturally, as the only miss inside the Meng estate following the favor of the third prince, Meng Jia Yi could see her life inside the Meng estate flourishing. Her fingers don't even touch the spring water as she rests herself inside her room preparing for the wedding to begin.

The red satin cloth has now begun to take form, she can only stitch the wedding shoes because her skill wasn't enough for the wedding dress itself; her Mother has already given the shop that was given to her as her possession from her late parents and is now sitting close to her, giving her guidance.

"The third prince seems to set a good impression of you, his estate is also clean and there are only Mama's and servants inside, there is no elder anymore in the prince's estate"

"Does it mean I don't have to wake up early and be a slave to the prince's elders?" She cheekily asked which led her to caress her knocked forehead.

"The walls have ears!" Ban Rushi glared at her child. "Do not spout such nonsense again, do you hear me?"

Her heart almost lunges out of her throat herding her daughter's brazen words that could land her to the court.

Seeing her daughter nods her head obediently while still holding her forehead pitifully, she can only sigh and kiss her forehead.

"Alright, enough of that, just remember my words" she clenched her daughter's hand and look her dead in the eye. "Lay low, live your current life in satisfaction and never be greedy"

It was something that her late mother told her but unfortunately, fate has other ways for her. It didn't help matters when her beauty flourished at such a young age and gathered the attention of her now current husband. She became his concubine, has to suffer from the mistreatment of his wives and had to sacrifice her child for the balance of the household.

If it was in her wish she could have been married to a scholar, a man that will take her as his wife, a student of her late father that would act as their live-in son in law.

But it didn't.

But she was now filled with regrets but none of that is towards her lonely children, to her A'Yi and A'Rui even if the latter wasn't born in her. Both the palm and the back of the hand are made of flesh, they are all her children even without the presence of blood.

"I remember mother"

She then felt her daughter's head snuggling to her chest, just like what she always did when she was still young and wanted to show her affection to her.

'May the heavens bless you and stray you away from harm' she pleads to the heaven and the deities above before kissing her child once more.

...

Fu Jun Bei instantly garnered the attention of all with his scholarly air and his cavalier ways; it made the female servants in the Meng family cast envious glances to the Third Miss who is now walking to the third prince's direction.

When the two of them stood next to each other, it was as if spring blossomed between them that even the orioles and flowers do not dare enter their space; the third miss, Meng Jia Yi particularly, was done in an apricot skirt laced with blooming auspicious clouds and a spring yellow upper clothing that was decorated in strings; the third prince, Fu Jun Bei, wore a darker shade of red with golden patterns along with an
ebony inner shirt.

"Greetings to the third prince" the tassels moved, scratching the back of his palm and he told her to rise.

Fu Jun Bei opened the carriage door along with the personal maid of Lady Jia Yi, his eyes taking full notice of her calm unique eyes that always seem to catch his attention.

He didn't enter the carriage, even if they are now betrothed they still cannot be seen in one space with just the two of them; the ride towards the vigorous capital started and soon they reached the temple.

Fu Jun Bei held his hand out for Meng Jia Yi to take, her lips bitten looking troubled before finally relenting. He then ordered the carriage to return in the same place in the estimated time, in the corner of his eyes he watched amused by as she rubbed her hands repeatedly in her handkerchief.

"Is the lady, alright?" He suddenly asks.

"Oh, yes... This girl is alright, your highness" she smiles and reclaims her naivety once more.

He hid a smile, interesting, he thought inside before allowing her to stand behind him as they walked to the stairs towards the temple.

They soon reached inside the temple, numerous people ranging from nobles and commoners prayed for good fortune and health; stick the incense and prayed silently to the ever-smiling buddha.

"We should go now or else the troupe for today would end" he teased, his eyes were wandering around the temple after feeling that something looks amiss.

It was already dusk and there are still several people praying for the buddha; no guards patrolling the streets not even a spot of it when they traveled towards the temple. But he didn't tell it to Lady Jia Yi, he was waiting for the plan to unravel before taking advantage of who it was that was targeting her.

Yes, he already knew, after leaving the capital to enter the front line he knew that his betroth would suffer from rumors of his impending death and his enemies but he didn't care.

If she didn't survive then he can just leave her maternal family brimming with wealth, if she did, then his impression of her cunning self who always seems to hide from the limelight is not wrong.

"Your highness"

"Yes?" He looked at her, those eyes that pretend to be a bashful bride.

"May this girl be excused? The head monk wishes to meet with this girl" she says, there was a light in her eyes.

So she also started to feel that something is amiss, very well then, he shall let her know it herself.

"Alright, would you like one of my subordinates to be with you?"

"No need your highness, this girl can have my personal maid with me" she smiles after seeing his positive nod.

The cunning light in Fu Jun Bei's eyes brightened, like torches in the dark caves it glow even more after seeing the note left by his secret guards.

Notes:

Their ten fingers do not touch the spring waters referring to how a person does not need to personally wash their clothes in the icy March waters. Essentially, it means that a person has the privilege of living comfortably without doing housework.
• From what I know it's possible to have a son in law live in the wife's house when she is the only child of her parents; they would recruit a son in law and have him change his surname to theirs to have the wife's surname pass to the children.
Both the palm and the back of the hand are made of flesh means they are equally important.

***
Chapter 42 is up!

Alright, Fu Jun Bei is a scum who knows the threat that would befall on those who are close with him. Sadly it was our MC but then again she was cunning in her own.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!