Chapter 1

"This is so unfair," I mumbled to myself as I repositioned the rifle in my hands, "I should've gone with them, Dale. Glenn and I have always gone on runs together. And now it's like Shane is trying to change everything." I spoke with a clear frown on my face as I looked down at the makeshift camp as well as the bright greenery around the ravine, summer was at full swing.

Currently I was standing on the roof of an RV, being the lookout with an elderly man who I'd only met a few weeks ago. 

"Aideen, it's just this one time. They will be back in no time, so stop worrying." Dale said fixing his beige bucket hat as he sat in a blue camp chair, the umbrella above him was doing nothing to prevent the heat caused by the Georgia sun.

"Still, something feels off. Maybe, I am being paranoid, but something has happened. I know it. " I said as I fixed my own baseball cap, my forehead drenched with sweat. Licking my top lip, the taste of salt lingered on my tongue. As I paced up and down the roof of the RV, I cursed at the heat before collapsing down on the cooler box out of defeat and exhaustion.

"Go get some fresh water, I've got it from here." Dale said as he stood up and walked towards me. I gave him a grateful smile when he grabbed and shouldered the rifle I was carrying. "Thank you, I'll get you some too."

With one hand on the rifle's strap and one hand holding his binoculars, Dale started pacing up and down just as I had a few minutes ago. For a moment, I wonder to myself if he too was anxious on the whereabouts of our group members. I climbed down the ladder, the steel bars searing my hands from baking in the sun all day.

Once I was on the ground, I stood underneath the material awning provided by the RV. The shade protecting me from the sun, it felt much cooler which caused a grateful sigh to leave my lips.

I watched the camp suspiciously, there was something about being around these people that made me feel more alone than when I was actually alone. Maybe it was the fact that the world ended, or something, but the only person I was able to talk to, wasn't here. Maybe it was the fact that I was more introverted than most, or maybe there was something to be suspicious about. I shook my head trying to shake off my own paranoia.

Amy walked towards Lori, who was sitting by the fire, with a red bucket in hand. There was something about Lori that made me not want to trust her. Amy was however kind-hearted and still a child at heart who literally loved mermaids, but I couldn't tell if that was a good thing or if that's what was going to get her killed. With the world being the way it is right now, 

They spoke for a moment while Lori looked at the contents that were once in the red bucket, she then proceeded to grab the bucket and stand. Amy had just come back, so I narrowed my eyes as Lori. Her gaze caught mine, it took her only a split second before looking away.

"Dale, I'm heading out." Lori called out to the elderly man before turning around and focusing her gaze on her son. Carl had been playing near Ed's yellow car, he was probably waiting for Sofia. I reminded myself to check up on both of them, my heart broke when I thought about what those two have to go through everyday. 

"Sweetheart, I want you to stay where Dale can see you. Okay?" she said in a sweet voice, she had lost her husband and Carl had lost his father. It always sounded like she was treading lightly around her son, almost like she was afraid that the wrong tone of voice would set him off. Maybe I'm just being biased because of my own insecurities or something, I should offer some help, I thought to myself. "Yes, mom." Carl said before continuing to play with his toy.

"You too. Don't wonder too far," Dale said looking down at Lori, "stay within shooting distance. And if you see anything, holler. I'll come runnin'." As Lori started walking off into the woods she sarcastically mumbled, "Yes, mom."