Chapter 20

The loud ringing noise in my ears were almost unbearable, as well as the exploding pain in my head. I laid defeated as I watched Dale hand Shane the bag of guns. Shane had this smug look on his face as he shouldered the bag and walking off, out of the woods. Dale crouched beside me and helped me sit up, he inspected my head as he tried catching my attention but the ringing had me in its grip.

Coming to Dale's rescue without the necessary skills was a bad idea. Somehow, the fact that Shane was apart of a police force and was trained for situations like this, had slipped my mind. I underestimated his skill, and that's a mistake I will never make again. He had somehow gotten out of the direction of my gun, grabbed it before hitting me with the butt of the gun. 

Dale helped me stand and walked beside me back to the farm. After a few minutes my hearing came back but the throbbing behind the back of my head was still prominent. The instant Dale and I stepped foot out of the woods, all we heard was gunshots going off. Dale looked at me before both of us ran in the direction of the barn. With every step my body felt the power behind my strides, even as the pounding behind my head grew worse.

Our group was standing in a line, in front of the barn, guns raised. There were walkers on the ground and more were stumbling out of the barn, but with every shot a walker fell. Hershel was on his knees, with Maggie behind him. Lori was holding Carl and covering his ears. My heart dropped. They were walkers to us, but we just massacred Hershel's family. When I arrived, it was too late, the gunshots had stopped and no more walkers were standing.

Unable to mutter a word, I turned to Hershel and Maggie to say something, anything but was stopped when my people raised their guns. I looked over to the doors and saw Sophia step put pf the barn, but it wasn't Sophia anymore. Carol began running and sobbing but I gently stopped her, just as Daryl dropped his gun and held her. She sobbed in our arms as we looked at on another.

Daryl was trying to be there for Carol, but I knew how much this had hurt him as well, how it had hurt all of us. As a group, we started to sob as she snarled, inching her way towards us. But no one moved, everyone just watched. Rick pulled out his gun and aimed it at Sophia. With one shot, she dropped to the ground, finally at peace. I felt my own tears fall as I watched the little girl I had played checkers with while we were at the quarry. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, I turned to see Daryl looking at me.

He was expressionless, but even as this hurt him, he would be there for Carol and I, I could just feel it. Daryl raised his hand to the side of my face, before pulling his hand back, blood on his hands. My blood. I shook my head, not now.

"Don't look. Don't look." Daryl repeated as we helped her stand, but she was sobbing uncontrollably. When she could stand she shoved Daryl away and walked away from the horrors in front of us. 

The Greene family were crying at the sight of their family, Beth was sobbing before she broke away from Jimmy and ran to a walker that was her mom. The young girl cried and she turned over her mother. Suddenly, the walkers eyes opened and growls left her mouth as the walker grabbed Beth and started tugging her, towards it's mouth. Beth screamed, and we all rushed to help.

"Get an axe!" I yelled as I grabbed a hold of Beth and started pulling her away, Shane and Rick came to join me. We pulled her out of the walkers grip and Hershel came over as I held the young girl. I didn't see who took the final blow, I handed Beth over to her father. "I'm so sorry, I tried to stop him." I told the elderly man but my voice quivered, but Hershel didn't say anything. 

"She was in there all along?" Shane yelled as Hershel and his family were walking away, and I was sick and tired of his shit. "Shane, back off. You just killed their family, you bastard." I seethed as Glenn and I trailed behind the Greene's.