Chapter 13

After Lori galloped away with the country girl, and everyone got over the shock of that happening, Daryl came over to me before holding out one of his hands. Gratefully, I grabbed his calloused hand before he pulled me up. "Were you bit?" he asked as I felt his hand rest on my waist, and for a minute I can't breathe. Not because I had fought for my life a few seconds ago, but just that one gesture stole my breath away. I looked into his eyes, and my eyes scanned his dirty but handsome face before I silently shook my head. Even though I was dazed, I could feel myself worried about Carl. How had the innocent little boy get shot? Who would do such a thing?

I regret shaking my head. I regret it because as soon as I did it, he left go of my waist and walked over to the group. "That girl told us how to get to their farm, do we just go to Dale and go? Or what?" Glenn said looking in the direction of where the horse had ran. "No, we don't know her." Daryl snapped, annoyed that he had lost a member of the group in under a minute. My heart leaped out of my chest when the walker that was once on the ground, sat up with a raspy growl. "Shut up." Daryl scoffed before shooting an arrow through its head.

We got to the highway in thirty-minutes before explaining to Dale what had happened as we climbed over the barrier. "Shot? What do you mean shot?" Dale exclaimed before lowering his rifle and approaching us. "I don't know, Dale. All we know is this chick rode out of nowhere like Zorro on a horse and took Lori." Glenn explained as he walked past the older man. Daryl stood behind me as I climbed over the barrier, still clearly annoyed at Lori and the country girl. "You let her?" Dale explained, I looked at him with wide eyes hoping Daryl wouldn't punch him.

"Climb down out of my asshole, man. Rick apparently sent her. She knew all their names." Daryl said before forcing himself past Dale, he needed time to be alone. Dale asked about the screams, and Glenn explained that it was just me. Andrea made her way toward the RV, the old man tried to ask is she was okay, but she ignored him and went into the RV. I gave Dale a look of sympathy before sighing and looking at the sky, it was colored a beautiful sea of orange and purple. Once everyone went quiet, I went my own way, also needing to be alone.

Watching from a distance, I saw the group break up into smaller pieces. Glenn and T-Dog were going to look for the farmhouse. This was after Daryl pulled out a packet of prescriptions drugs that would have concerned anyone. Glenn waved at me before they grabbed a few supplies got into Carol's car, the doubled back and headed to the bypass.

I climbed the water truck with my backpack; my pillow and blanket were still on the roof from this morning. Using the blanket, I wiped the sweat from my forehead before pulling the last water bottle and can off tuna from my bag. The beautiful sunset was able to help me forget about how much I hated the taste of tuna. I saw Daryl go into the RV when the sun had sunk below the horizon. Exhausted, I laid on the roof with my head on the pillow, allowing myself to fall into a sleep filled with nightmares and strangeness.

The dream I had was the same reoccurring one I always had. Once again, I was in the woods, with the man looking for me but this time there were a few things that were different. This time, it wasn't just me in the woods. There was someone else, but their faces were smudged, and I couldn't recognize the person. The only other thing that was different; was instead of fallen leaves, I was running on wild mushrooms. Due to the strangeness in my dream, waking up didn't feel so forced or abrupt. When I woke up, I heard my name being called.

I looked over the edge of the roof to see Daryl standing with his crossbow in one hand and flashlight in the other. "That woman won't stop cryin' and if I don't get into those woods and look for that little girl, she's gonna drive me crazy." Daryl said flashing the light into my face, blinding me and causing spots to dance in my vision. "Need backup?" I asked before yawning, he said nothing. I nodded to myself before climbing off the truck and patting his shoulder. "Let me just grab a few things and-" Daryl cut me off by handing me my backpack and a flashlight, I raised my eyebrows before he shrugged and walked into the direction of what I assumed was the creek. Before I entered the woods, I looked back at the RV and saw Dale standing there with his binoculars.