Chapter 5

After following the men who almost pushed me off a roof, I was surprised when they lead me into an old age home. Elderly people sat in wheelchairs with knitted blankets over their laps. It was almost a fact that most elderly, and young children died during the outbreak, so seeing this much elderly people in one place was shocking.

"What is this place?" I asked as I passed a middle-aged woman feeding an elderly man, his hands curled over the arm rests of the wheelchair he was in. It was remarkable to see so many vulnerable people in one place. The guy, who cut the rope that was around my wrists, took me to an office where a man stood, leaning against the desk with his arms crossed.

The man has a black tank top underneath an opened stripped shirt. The crucifix around his neck caught my eye before I looked up at him. He had a light goatee and he looked serious as he eyed me. "What trade did you make with my people? I saw they have one of your men". I said trying to sound intimidating, I didn't know what the other's told him.

"Relax. The name's G, we just want those guns and you're free to go. We have these people to protect, I hope you can understand that." He said and let his intimidating demeanor fall away. "Please don't hurt them, please." I could feel my eyebrows furrowing as I spoke, for the past two days I started feeling a little less like an outcast, like I was starting to play a role in the group. And if you were in the group, you protected one another no matter what.

"My colleague here, will take you to the game hall. Be careful of the dogs, they bite." Was all that was said before the man walked past me. I turned around ready to ask another question when in the doorway, was the same man who had hit me in the alley. "I'm Felipe, and your people have my cousin. Nothing better happen to him." The man spoke with anger and annoyance before turning around and walking down the hall, I followed.

"So, you guys stay here? And protect the elderly?" I stated but it came out sounding more like a question, Felipe was limping with one hand holding his thigh. "No one else would. I used to work here, and everyone just left them here to die, we couldn't." Felipe sighed, he sounded genuinely hurt. My heart went out to him, and the people here. We entered a hall before someone called Felipe. I called out to him, and he stopped before turning around. "I'm sorry my friend put an arrow in your ass." Felipe nodded before limping away.

In the game hall was a mix between elderly people, and middle-aged people helping them. Some were playing chess and others were playing checkers. I hear a growl and a bark, turning around I saw three small dogs in pink bed. They were adorable but I reminded myself about G's warning. Just then and elderly man started heaving, like he couldn't breathe.

"Mr. Gilbert, breathe. We're getting help now just hold on." One of the women said putting a hand on his shoulder, an elderly woman walked out of the hall. I crouched in front of the man, causing many of the people to turn their heads to me. "Mr. Gilbert, my name is Aideen. My brother used have asthma attacks too, I need you to do as I say, okay?" I said in a gentle voice, with one hand on his chest, he rapidly nodded his head.

I fixed his posture so that he was sitting straight before crouching in front of him once more. "Now, focus on me." I received another nod through the wheezing, "Breathe when I breathe and focus on something that makes you calm, okay?" he nodded once again. When I inhaled, I raised my hand. When I exhaled, I lowered my hand.

After a few minutes, Mr. Gilberts breathing was slower, but I could tell he was struggling to breathe. He needed an asthma pump and soon, I turned around ready to order someone to get a pump when Felipe came running holding is leg and an asthma pump in his other. "Thank you." Felipe said before tending to the elderly man. I stood away and stepped away from the crowd surrounding them. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. It was Rick, Daryl, T-Dog and Glenn, all of them had pure disbelief on their faces.