Chapter 10

It took me about five minutes before the shock wore off and was replaced with panic. I got up and grabbed an axe that was in a glass box, before charging towards the steel door screaming. With every fiber of my being, it screamed to be let out. Maybe I was afraid of dying, but it was exactly that fear that kept me alive. "Open the damn door!" I yelled swinging the axe once again, the sound of metal colliding with metal filled the air as I barely made a dent.

Turning around I saw Lori crying as she held Carl, Carol was sitting on the floor with Sofia. Dale's eyes were wider than an owl, but Jacqui and Andrea looked emotionless. It was then when I saw Daryl coming towards me. Yelling and cursing Jenner, I was surprised to see the scientist was still alive. It wasn't like him to be trapped and have a slight hold on his anger. Glenn tossed Daryl an axe just like mine, and we both started attacking the door.

My muscles burned and ached as shock waves of the force shot up my arms. I was using the power of pure desperation, it felt like I was starting to suffocate. I dropped to the ground, the axe clattering against the ramp. My chest started burning as I struggled to breath, it was like my body was trying to kill itself before the crazy scientist could blow us all up. I saw Daryl crouch beside me, his hand on my back.

"I can't breathe." I gasped clutching my chest, my head felt hot, and tears fell to my knees. "Those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher. So, I suggest you focus on getting her to stop having a panic attack before she passes out." I heard Jenner call out. "Fuck you Jenner!" Daryl shouted but dropped his axe and helped me stand. "Breathe." he told me, with both hands on my shoulders he directed me towards Carol, Lori, and the kids.

Lori and Carol held onto my shoulders, telling me to calm down. I tried focusing on the cold tiles, and slowly tried to breathe. "Open the door!" Daryl screamed running towards Jenner with the axe. Shane and Rick ran together to stop him. "Whoa! Whoa!" they yelled trying to stop him. "Daryl! Stop! His the only one who can open the door!" I yelled as T-Dog grabbed the axe. He stood there; axe raised. "Daryl!" I yelled his name again, he yelled into his teeth but walked away from Jenner.

Daryl looked over at me and scoffed before walking back towards the door, banging on it once again. "I had to keep the hope alive, didn't I?" Rick said looking at his wife and best friend, Jenner shook his head. "There is no hope! There never was!"

"There's always hope!" Rick yelled as he pointed to the ground, he wanted everyone to know that there would always be at least a slimmer of hope, even when he wasn't convinced himself. "Maybe it won't be you, maybe not here, but somebody somewhere..." Rick almost growled at Jenner. This was what Shane was missing when he tried being the leader, he only cared about the power not about the whole group.

Jenner carried on, trying to convince everyone in the group that the world was dead and at least we would die quickly. I was almost back to normal when I stood up, still feeling dizzy. "Listen here Jenner, we get to decide how we die. And we don't want this! Let us out!" I yelled at him; I heard a shotgun being loaded. Everyone started screaming when Shane started shooting the computers. I tried to duck but felt a sudden pain in my thigh.

Rick knocked Shane to the ground, and everyone looked at me with wide eyes. I looked down and saw blood dripping down my leg. "Ah shit!" I said to myself before leaning against the computers, holding my leg. Glenn came towards me and crouched by my leg, tying the shirt he had around his own waist. "Aideen, you alright?" Rick asked, I just nodded hoping officer friendly could convince Jenner that were deserved to live.

Daryl came to stand by me, he didn't say a word as Rick spoke to Jenner. My leg was throbbing, it hurt more than when I woke up with the hangover. "Come on." Was all Daryl said before wrapping my arm around his neck, he helped me limp to the door. Daryl took his crossbow and draped it across his back. I leaned on the railing as he picked up the axe and started slamming it against the door. After a few minutes he grunted when nothing happened but suddenly the door opened.