Chapter 17

"Daryl, I am so sorry that I shot you. I thought you were a walker." I tried to apologize as I walked towards the chair that was near the other side of the bed. "Admit it, you've thought about shooting me before." He joked but I shot him a look. "This isn't a time to be joking, Daryl. I almost killed you, I could have." I sighed holding my head in my hands as I looked at him, he had covered himself with the blanket and he was hugging the below beneath his head. "Would you relax woman? You missed, I'm still alive. You were trying to protect the group. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself and start beating yourself up over the fact that you missed."

"Are you really criticizing my aim right now?" I asked him as I tried not to chuckle, but it was difficult. "Yeah, but next time you shoot me, you best pray I'm dead." He joked trying to sound serious, I smiled grateful to know that he was going to be okay. "Now leave me be, I need some shut eye." Daryl mumbled as he shifted under the blanket. I got up from my seat and walked over to his side of the bed. When I leaned down, he flinched but relaxed when he realized I just kissed his cheek.

Daryl didn't say anything as I stood up and walked to the door, I stopped and looked back at him with my hand on the doorknob. "I'm glad you're okay, Dixon." I whispered before opening the door and leaving the room. As I walked towards the dining room, Carol was telling everyone that dinner was ready. There was a long table where all the adults sat and an actual kid's table. Glenn and I were forced to sit at the kid's table with Beth and Maggie.

Once everything was set, everyone took a seat at their places. After everyone prayed and started eating, no one spoke a word. The only thing that could be heard was the sound of the cutlery hitting the plates beneath the food. As I ate, I noticed Glenn and Maggie passing a not underneath the table, just as someone at the 'adult table' broke the ice and they started speaking. Glenn was starting to smile like an idiot, but immediately stopped when he saw I was looking. Maggie also seemed to notice, and she seemed worried but I discreetly imitated that my mouth was zipped shut. Both smiled.

When everyone was done eating, I got a plate for Daryl. "Aideen?" Carol called my name making me turned around. "Can I come? I need to thank him." She said, and I smiled before nodding my head. "Of course, you don't even have to ask". Together we set out towards the room Daryl was in. She knocked as I held the food. As the door swung open, I noticed how he pulled the blanket up, covering his scars. My own scars came to mind as I recalled my insecurities when I tried swimming at a public swimming pool when I was younger.

"How are you feeling?" I asked before putting the tray of food on the bedside table, and Carol stepped in beside me. "Not as good as I look." Daryl said tiredly, exhausted. I stepped back and gave Carol the floor so that she could say what she needed to say. Carol didn't say anything, she leaned down and kissed his temple, I noticed how he flinched. "Watch out, I got stitches." He grumbled as he looked at me, I sent him a soft smile.

"You need to know something. You did more for my little girl today than her own daddy ever did in his whole life." Carol spoke so soft that it almost sounded like a whisper, Daryl looked uncomfortable. Not because of pain or exhaustion, he was uncomfortable because he was being praised. "I didn't do anything Rick or Shane wouldn't have done." Daryl mumbled looking between us, I stepped forward and rested my hand on Carols shoulder as we both looked at him. "I know. You're every bit as good as them." Carol softly smiled as she looked like she was about to cry.

"Every bit." I added before she left the room, I turned to leave but I heard him say my name, so I stopped to look at him. Daryl's eyes were heavy, as if he was struggling to keep them open. "Stay." He said, his voice was deeper than usual. I closed the door and walked over to the chair on the other side of the bed. Daryl faced me as he laid, and his eyes were almost closed. "I'm sorry, for being a dick." Was the last thing I heard before he fell asleep. I grabbed a book from the shelf and sat in that chair reading half through the night.