Chapter 7: Confusion and Even More Surprises

Waves roll in and out. Their foamy white crescents battle for the top and so the waves are warriors clashing in the battle of a storm on the sea. Lightning streaks bright across the dark sky.

If it's day or night I can't tell. The only thing I can see is the waves and occasional brightening of the sky with lightening.

I am the lightening, the waves, sky, and sea. I am the bellowing thunder like laughter of the giants. A lone boat gets caught into my raging storm and then, instead of the storm and sea I am the boat and its passengers.

I am no longer what terrorizes the boat but am the living feeling of terror. It courses through my rooms and deck like a deadly plague until all I feel is the terror.

The ship bobs up and down, a toy ship at the merciless hands of Neptune and Jupiter. The gods of the sea and sky.

Instead of crashing against themselves the angry waves make war with the hull of the ship until climbing on the deck and pulling off anything not strapped down.

"Something is wrong with the ship!" I try to yell.

I can feel my engines creak and groan and somehow I know that this sort of storm isn't supposed to even faze the ship or rather me.

"Something is wrong with the ship!" I try to shout again.

It's fruitless, I'm nothing but a ship. I don't have a mouth and even if I did the cruel winds would steal away my voice. Even if the people on the ship could hear me they wouldn't listen. The ship hasn't sunk yet but the people already have, sunk deep into their fear.

I can feel the engine break, can hear the screams. I try to close my eyes but it's impossible. A ship doesn't have eyes.

As soon as the storm started it ends. The black clouds begin to show the dawn of a new day. The passengers are alive, as is the ship.

I would of sighed in relief if I could.

The scene changes and only then does it fully register I'm dreaming.

My last vision is a set of bright magenta eyes and a voice whispering something I can't make out.

Before I can piece the words together my eyes open to the brightness of my own new day.

Rubbing my eyes I get up from bed and pad over to the closet. After getting dressed I make my way downstairs to the dining room for breakfast.

Before I round the corner to the dining room Simon's voice reaches my ears.
My hand hesitates on the door knob before falling back to my side.

The serious tone in his voice cause me to eavesdrop. His words seem to mix and mingle together so well I can't hear what he's saying. It's almost as of it's another language, but then I pick out one word.

Ebony.

I begin to listen more carefully, trying not to miss his rapid mingling way of speaking.
Who is he talking to anyway?

"I never would of thought you an eavesdropper Ebony. You bad girl, tsk tsk."

My fingers clench and I whirl around to strike the speaker on reflex.

Catrine catches my hand between her own. A taunting grin spreads across her face.

"Nice punch," she admits, "At least it would of been if you made your mark."

I draw my hand away from hers. I can't help but feel a bit guilty from listening in. What kind of maid am I to listen in to my master's conversations?