Chapter 14: Screeching

The days following my late night chat with Sebastian more murders have ensued, causing everyone in the household to be on edge.

During these four days I've been still searching for answers but it's been difficult and my time to do so has been scarce. Because of the on coming threat to unmarried farmers I've been busy setting up traps and such for precautionary measures. Because Simon is one of the handful of single farmers living n the town and because of my investigation I've been even more watchful than usual.

So far it hasn't helped me much.

"Ebony dear?" Simon calls from the parlor.

The man's been catering to Ciel's every need all day and been doing paperwork late into the night.

I step into the parlor where Ciel, Simon, and Sebastian all sit.

"Yeah?" I ask, wiping the wood shavings off of my dress.

I'd been cutting wood for a sort of trap I brainstormed the night before. Surprisingly I'm not that bad at building things, I'd thought I would be a lot worse.

"I hate to bother you but may you please pick up some tea from the market. I'm running low on the Earl grey tea that Ciel likes so much. He drinks it like I do root-beer." Simon chuckles with a grin.

Ciel rolls his navy colored eyes at the jab.

"Sure thing." I smile. "I'll be back soon."

I head out the door, my now clean boots make a squelching sound in the moist earth. It still hadn't completely dried from the flood.

I quickly make it to town. The people's faces aren't as smiley as usual instead they are withdrawn and grim, their chatter just whispers instead of their usually mirth.

The killings have taken a toll on them just like myself and the people in the mansion on top of the hill.

As I walk, my dirty, then clean, now dirty again boots kick up dust off the road. A few of the people's whispered words reach my ears.

"Killer."

"Bad people in town."

"Not any would do this though."

"New people are suspicious."

"Heard English people are loons."

My face pales, I don't think they're taking about me.

Sebastian and Ciel...

I gulp, of course they would blame the newcomers. It's only natural.

"Miss Ebony."

I turn, instantly my worry is replaced with a bud of hope as my first friend in this town, Sheriff Bo Walker strides towards me.

"Hello Sheriff." I grin.

"Howdy Miss Ebony." He drawls with a tip of his hat."

"It has been quite awhile since I last saw you."

"Yeah, how are you?"

"I'm doing fine, and you?"

"Work has been difficult lately." He scratches the back of his head. "But it's nothing I can't handle."

Relief pools inside of me. That's one last thing to worry about. With Bo on the case I don't have to worry about Sebastian and Ciel being convicted without evidence.

"Yes the murders. I see it's effected the whole town."

Bo nods solemnly. "It's upsetting to see everyone so down."