Chapter 5

As we approached Zayde's house, I already began to feel intimidated. We were driving through the classy neighbourhood in town. Posh, fancy, practically oozing money and fame. I for one couldn't help but feel so small and plain compared to all of it.

Glancing at my sweatpants, baggy T-shirt and old, worn out sneakers, I felt like dust compared to Zayde. Looking closer at his clothes, I could see that even though they appeared simple, they looked so expensive, fitting him and his lifestyle. I suddenly began to slightly believe what Anna said, I feel like trash among all this, all this class.

I suddenly realised I don't belong here, I really don't belong here.

I don't know when I started breathing so heavily, or when I started having a panic attack, but the next thing I know, Zayde had pulled over and was cradling me against his chest a hushing and soothing me, drying my tears with his thumb as his warmth surrounds me slowing my panic.

The new tears forming in my eyes start to dry, my heart and breathing slowing and I feel myself becoming calm again. All this while Zayde soothes me, rubbing comforting circles on my back, just like mum does.

I sigh drowsily, suddenly feeling drained.

"You okay luv?"  Zayde's voice tickles my ear, so soft but it sounds so loud in the silence. I shiver involuntarily as goosebumps cover my skin.

"I'm fine." I whisper, thinking that anything louder will ruin this moment.

"Are you okay? Really?" He pulls my head from his chest to stare at me, his eyes scanning my own, and for once, I let my barriers fall, letting the pain and heartbreak and loss show in my eyes. He strokes my face gently, kissing the side of my head as he whispers "You're going to be okay Skye, you're going to be okay."

I shuffle closer to him, nuzzling my face into his chest. I look up at him, seeing his eyes shine with mixed emotions as his usual neutral look softens. I brush his hair out of his eyes, waiting for him to flinch but when he doesn't, I observe them.

Sure the grey is a contrast against the green but together, they look absolutely captivating. "Beautiful." I whisper, unable to help it.

He looks shocked and confused and when I shift to get a closer look, he grips my hips, looking down and drawing in a deep breath.

When his eyes meet mine, I nearly gasp from intensity in them. I try to move away but her stops me, bringing his lips to my ear.

"Fluffy, stop moving around or this is gonna be one heck of a ride." He whispers huskily near the shell of my ear. I shut my lips tightly, in order to keep any sound from escaping,  cause honestly, I don't know what sound I'd make.

I scrambled off his lap, keeping my eyes anywhere but on Zayde as my face turns beet red.

A deep throaty laugh rumbles from his chest and I gulp as he fixes his hair back. I realised then that we were both in the drivers seat and that explains the hard surface that was nudging my back.

As his laugh dies down, I suddenly realise something.

"Did you just call me Fluffy?" I asked incredulously. He smirks.

"Yep."

"How."

"Well, I just opened my mouth and-"

"No I mean how can you call me Fluffy, why?"

"You know, Skye, like the Sky, and clouds are in the Sky, and clouds are fluffy." I pretended like I didn't swoon internally when he said fluffy. Must be an accent thing.

"That makes zero sense." I huff, crossing my arms.

"Yes it does."

"No it doesn't."