Chapter 8

Meadow and I had lots of fun. We played, ate lots of goodies and watched Disney movies.

I got every single Disney movie for her, she just liked them that much. And after we devoured the cake, she went on to ask me the usual questions she asks.

"How is gwandma?"

"How is gwandpa?"

"How is Unca Steve?"

"Did you have fun at school today?"

"Have you found your Prince yet."

I decided not to dwell on that last one. I told her that when I find my prince, he'd be her daddy. It was a much better way than explaining to her exactly what happened.

Not that she would understand anyway.

I was more than happy to answer her questions but, she was so inquisitive, she reminds me of myself.

Then, we played dress up. We also built a fort and ate popcorn in it, then together, we read her favourite book together: The Princess and the Frog.

It was nice to spend time with my little girl again. I see her everyday after school except I can't make it, but it has been getting more and more difficult.

Moving back here was tough, and in order not to draw unnecessary attention to myself I had to keep her secret, it wasn't easy switching her between Home and Grandma's, whisking her away when my friends came and making up excuses to disappear to see my little girl. It was stressful but worth it. I got to start a fresh, flying under the radar and it kept my daughter out of the spotlight and away from prying eyes.

Basically I had no choice.

Meadow goes to kindergarten not too far from school and I or grandma usually go to pick her up and most people just think I'm her older sister.

My parents know about her of course, it was even their idea to hide her anyway. Moving back was out of necessity rather than choice and my parents decided to keep the skeleton in the cupboard and start afresh.

They didn't want me revealing my daughter.

"What will our old friends say?" They said.

So they concluded that the best way was to keep her hidden. But it's getting more and more difficult and I'm barely keeping up.

This would be easier if they just let me be myself.

I and Meadow were curled up on the sofa watching Tangled when she spoke.

"Mummy?" Her adorable two-year-old voice said.

"Yes sweetie?"

"Can we go to the pwark pwease?" She pleaded making a puppy dog face.

Aww, how can I resist that.

"Of course baby, let's go." I say tenderly stroking her hair.

She squealed bouncing off me, her little legs running away.

I smiled to myself. Such a cutie.

She came back with her little pink coat and I helped her put it on, grabbing mine as well. It was already chilly, the last thing I'd want is for my baby to catch a cold.

I told Grandma that we'd be at the park before he stepped out.

The fallen leaves only added to the beauty of the autumn season, and I found myself staring at the brown, orange, yellow and red leaves as we walked, well, Meadow skipped to the park.

Getting to the park, my little angel wanted to go on the swings, so she skipped right over there, with me close behind. I helped her onto the swing and began to push as she giggled and squealed.

I smile down at her. Her laughter was like melody to my ears; beautiful and angelic. Her brown hair blowing in the wind, her vibrant blue eyes glowing with happiness and delight as she squealed with happiness.

She's my driving force, she keeps me going, she motivates me to be a better person, to have a better future for us. My Little Piece of Heaven.

Soon I stopped pushing, gently bringing the swing to a stop.

"Let's go for a walk honey" I say.

"Okay." She beams.

"Can I have a hot dog pwease mummy? Pretty pwease?" She begged holding my hand.

"Okay sweetie."

"Thanks Mummy!" She squealed happily, pulling my hand in the direction of the hot dog stand as we strolled over, Meadow skipping been beside me.

And once I get there, I order two hot dogs. I'm just done paying when I hear the voice I dread.

"Well, well, look what the trash dragged in." The voice said.

"Anastasia." I say without turning around, trying to keep my baby out of view.

"So I invite you to my picnic in an attempt to be nice, but instead you cancel because of 'other plans' which turned out to be babysitting a brat." She almost purred.

I saw red. She can insult me however she likes, but no one, no one says a bad word about my baby, no one.

"You better take that back Anastasia or you'll be crossing a line, and trust me, you don't want to cross it." I said through gritted teeth, taking a step closer.

"Ha! You useless, good for nothing fat lump, you can't even hurt a fly, what are you even going to do?" She taunted.

"If you don't take that back I will mould all of your facial features into one mess." I growled.

I was aware that My Meadow was watching and that was why I hadn't hit her yet. I'm also aware of other people's presence behind Anna and I assumed that those must be her picnic guests, but I'm too far gone to notice, I had tunnel vision, Anastasia's the only person I was focusing on.

"How dare you? You piece of trash!!" She yelled in a high pitch voice, grabbing my hair and yanking it.

I hissed in pain, as I tried with no avail, to get free, but at the same time not wanting to be violent in front of Meadow.

All of a sudden I felt her stagger back holding her shin.

Looking between us, I saw Meadow stand in front of me protectively, glaring daggers at Anna.

She kicked her. My little ninja.

I smirked as I took in Anastasia's look, proud of my little girl.

"What the fu-" Anastasia starts, but it's cut off by my girl.

"Leave my mummy alone!" She barked. That's wipes the smirk off my face and a look of horror takes its place.

I picked up Meadow and now it was Anastasia's turn to smirk as gasps and shocked faces came froms from the others. My eyes lock with Zayde's and for once, he looked shocked.

Shit.

Anastasia chuckled as meadow continues to glare at her, my blood running cold.

"Mummy huh?" She said as my face pales, my blood running cold as ice.