30- barbs unite

M/n had stripped the suffocating mechanics from his skin, not wanting to burn off all the girl's hard work.

She collected them like a trail of crumbs from a fairy tale, saying 'ouch' and waving about her fingers when the metal stung her red-tinged limbs.

"Sorry," he looked over his shoulder, to see her on her knees, cradling her tech, "you're throwing them off 'cause they hurt you, right?"

Sighing she stood up, levelling her eyes with his. Like a sunset meeting crimson moon, a tenderness eclipsed the stoic boy. Mei looked genuinely sorry.

"They're not, I-" well, this was awkward, "they're good, I'm just...not." he shrugged.

"Huh? You were great! Ever considered working at a super market to give out free tasters? You'd be employee of the month- no, the whole year!" She grinned and waved her arms, dropping everything she'd just picked up. "Oh."

M/n couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him, covering it with a quick cough.

"Thanks, Mei. You were amazing out there."

"Well, you learn to find your voice when no-one wants to listen to you." Her sturdy words made his breath hitch in the back of his throat, "You stand up and make them listen. You want them to listen to you, right?"

Hatsume jerked her thumb back toward the tunnel illuminated by the chattering crowd, a pin-hole of scurrying light amongst pitch black.

"'Cause I'll tell you something, Bakugou M/n." She turned to be on her way, back into the light,
"You've got a fire in you they can't ignore. Trust me, they'll shut up and listen."

Picking up her final piece, a strap from his wrist, she began humming an airy tune and skipped to the point she was enveloped by cheering and laughter.

Eyes following her, M/n felt some weight lift from his chest as he heaved out the breath he'd been holding.

And an understood smile lit up his face.

くコ:彡

The bathroom door was violently kicked in as M/n looked into the mirror and saw two reflections.

"You're missing that pink idiot's fight, idiot." Katsuki scoffed at his twin.

Towelling off his hands, M/n kept his eyes locked to the bin filled with screwed up paper.

"I don't wanna be out there at the moment, I'm cooling off." He said, making his brother stop with his hand on the latch to a cubicle.

"'Cooling off?' You didn't do anything out there." Katsuki realised M/n was refusing to look him in the eye, so glared at his twin's reflection, making the other shiver.

"Unless standing around like some blinged up pimp while that head-case went on a half-hour marketing rant is worth 'cooling off', you can shut yer trap." Katsuki finished.

M/n snatched his paper from the dispenser with an audible snap and glowered at his twin.

"She ain't a head-case, so don't call her that." His voice dropped threateningly low; when Mei had been nothing but nice and hopeful, the outside world still picked on her.

It made M/n's bubbling rage fit to cascade and burn like lava. He faced Katsuki with his back to the mirror, gripping the edge of the sink.

"You defending your little girlfriend now?" Katsuki sniggered, "You seem to like the pink ones-" M/n's head whipped up, "speaking of, you're missing raccoon eyes' fight right now, if I hadn't already said."

"You did. And I told you. I ain't in the mood."

"Tch."

Fed up M/n threw his ball (now pile of ash) in the bin and left. Watching how the porcelain of the sink dripped to the floor, Katsuki raised his voice a final time.