50 - i see a good man

M/n had his earbuds in while reading a book from his dad's library, the occasional track jolt would allow him a break from the page to watch the scenery pass by in a blur. It was a short journey back home to Musutafu where his internship awaited. He hadn't told his parents this was where he was training, wanting the experience to be dislocated from any domestic concern.

He walked the streets to the small building tucked beside a convenience store, a stark contrast between the fresh fruits and neon lights and barren concrete barricaded by black and yellow striped gates. 

Inside he wasn't greeted by a teasing receptionist like the one at Endeavour's establishment, instead everyone here had their heads down or were chatting freely.

It was an interesting pace to witness; no one was rushing like they had hell hounds on their heels, ready to face their boss' wrath. It was calm, full of level-headed people with an air of comfortability. Not many staff were about, but the teenager didn't mind the low-maintenance.

Approaching the front desk with a stride and a smile he tried not to fumble with his luggage, his shoulders still sore from when Todoroki had smacked him blank-faced for good-luck. "It appears physical contact is our way of encouragement, Bakugou." the boy had noted before wandering off to his station, leaving M/n confused and sore.

He quickly deflated after realising his friend was referencing their first awkward interaction involving a rolled up magazine.

"Hello," he beamed at the receptionist, "I'm here for the first year internship."

"Ah, of course!" They finished typing an email before lifting their head to greet the newcomer. They visibly faltered at his appearance- the boy they'd shivered at whilst watching the sports festival.

However, they greeted him with professionalism as they stood to show him the way to his temporary boss' office.

"He'll be happy you're early. He likes punctuality." the receptionist winked before wandering away. Adjusting his rucksack, M/n sucked in a breath and knocked on the door. A gruff "Come in" sounded from the other side.

Shuffling inside, M/n took his place in the chair positioned opposite the desk littered with photo-frames containing images of a rather ugly dog. The tall-backed chair before him swivelled around, the hero resting his strong hands upon the desk.

"Nice that you arrived early, kid. Keep that up." He nodded, then held out his hand. "Good to see you again, Bakugou."

Why would he want to shake the boy's hand? After last time, it was like a sour joke.

Taking the man's strong grip, they shook while maintaining eye-contact. The man was smiling, something M/n never expected. The coming together of their hands was not a bitter link to the past, but an opening for new beginnings. An olive branch.

"Thank you, Death Arms. Good to see you again, too."

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

The Pro-hero showed him where all the important stuff was- file room, toilets, vending machines, meeting rooms and sleeping quarters. 

After settling his belongings on an old, rickety bunk bed that existed in what M/n assumed was a retired janitor's closet, he followed Death Arms outside.

"I believe practical training is better than all the boring paperwork." the older man said as they walked briskly along the roads, coming upon a construction site. "This is where the work starts."

Gazing up, M/n squinted upon the many workers in yellow hardhats, scaffolding and cranes. Supplies being hooked and hoisted, shouts from man to man and the heavy rumbling of trucks and machinery. "Is... anyone in danger here?" the boy asked, casting his eyes over his shoulder to the busy streets where surely more action awaited the duo.