49 - in the ashes

Since a young age, M/n accepted he wasn't as starry eyed as the other children. Or to word that better, his brother.

Katsuki had this strict fascination with All Might- the power and strength the hero possessed - and from there his unquenchable thirst for victory presided over him. The passion in his yells as he soared his All Might figure over the couch never ceased to amaze the older twin.

The posters pinned to the bedroom walls, the one they shared as kids, grew dog-eared and faded with sunlight. And it was if if M/n could see the dreams floating above Katsuki's head, full of gut-punches and flashes of red, blue and yellow.
How in his sleep, Katsuki would strike out against his pillow, defeating a fluffy enemy, whilst drooling the night away, to rise again as another kid who breathed All Might in, who wanted to be just as cool as him. Maybe even cooler.

When they were five, the revelation of Kat's devotion only made itself that much clearer. After being burned by his twin, proclaiming it was only a minor accident, he had said, "If I'm the number 1 hero, I'll get hurt anyways."

It was so easy for Katsuki to get back up, because he had something- someone to believe in. If All Might can push through, so could he. No biggie. 

For M/n it was harder. He didn't hate heroes, he just hated what they did to people. Ordinary people, like his best friend Deku. Made their dreams so much harder to see, and their pillows wet with tears instead of drool. 

So he ignored the hype at school. Chose drawing over fawning, chose quiet reading time instead of make-believe on the playground. Katsuki would be showing off his quirk, in the background M/n and Izuku played hopscotch.

The pre-school teachers had found the older Bakugou's disinterest concerning, pulling him aside for lengthy chats and sent notes home.

They called him disrespectful, a stick in the mud. A silly little boy who should be grateful for the world he existed in. This only made his attitude gruffer. 

When his dad started buying Endeavour merchandise into the home, it startled the older twin.

"Look, son. He's just like you!" Masaru smiled, waving a toy in front of his face. The figurine was a scornful looking man with a beard made of fire, arms crossed permanently.

The boy found himself in constant staring competitions with the angry man, sticking his tongue out at the fiery hero. "I don't want to be like him, pa." M/n pushed the doll away, "He looks mean."

M/n didn't like how the small Endeavour sneered down at him, and Masaru was shocked one day to find the toy in the trash. The hero's face completely melted off.

In middle school, a faculty member has sat him down, reviewing his applications to higher education. "Why haven't you applied to U.A, Bakugou? You're the perfect fit!" they scoffed, tossing his file aside. "I mean, sure, your grades are lesser than your brother's, but you've got technical smarts in that brain of yours."

"I wouldn't want to disgrace the name of heroics, teach." M/n had replied, eyes cast down to his short list of applications. He had never told his twin that he'd researched programmes abroad, ones that would take him far away.
Deep down, he was trying to run from the YHA. But he'd never get the chance. Fate, it seemed, was already woven out for him. 

He didn't mind being stuck beside Tiny. There wasn't really anywhere else to be in life.

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

So here he was eleven years later, having hero after hero shoved in front of his face. He could still hear his dad's voice as his eyes scanned the list of 30 names. "Give them a chance, small fry. Heroes aren't that bad. They're just like you. They want to do good."

The agencies printed out were unfamiliar. Small firms hoping to gain popularity with the image of a YHA member in their ranks. 

The paper blackened and curled under his touch, his mind already made up. There was one name he wanted to give a chance, or perhaps, them give him a chance.

A pile of smoking ash plopped onto his desk as something made his jaw twitch and clench. Hawks' name wasn't on there. Even when the winged man had pinkie promised to be his number one supporter, after M/n had spilled his worries about U.A to the man during a patrol, it seemed Hawks had never meant what he said.

M/n didn't want to acknowledge the heavy loss and guilt of losing his best friend.

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

In the teacher's lounge, Aizawa was sifting through his student's compiled internships. He wasn't very amused when a pile of ash was dumped across his keyboard, told nonchalantly by another staff member it was "the taller one's."

Snipe hovered over his colleague's shoulder, "Make sure they think about it properly. There are some third years that still have regrets about it. Remember that kid who nearly drowned with Selkie?" the teacher shook his head, 

"Gills weren't strong enough, stupid kid." Aizawa muttered.

"Say, what's that pile of ash there? Your grandma come to visit?" Snipe chuckled and slapped the scruffy man on the back.

"No," Aizawa huffed, resettling his shoulder after the comedic abuse, "It's Bakugou M/n's decision. Luckily he told me before going home."

"Oh? Who'd he pick? Must say I'm surprised anyone scouted him out after..."

"Yeah... it's more shocking who he picked though." The scruffy man continued shuffling papers, his eyes getting caught on Iida's.

"Well, whoever takes on that kid better amp up the fire alarms. I'll pray for them." With that the gunslinging hero departed with a shoulder touch.

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

The next day at the train station, Class 1-A's homeroom teacher was sternly reminding them to mind their manners during their time with their chosen pros. 

Students began drifting off to their stops, lugging along their costumes and essentials. M/n swiftly wished Iida, Uraraka and Deku 'goodluck', and jogged after his twin.

"Well, Tiny, we'll be nine hours apart. Think you'll manage without me?" the older twin smirked, sticking out his hand for a shake. He still wasn't sure where they stood, as brothers, yes. But as friends?

"More like you won't manage without me, lanky bastard!" Katsuki glowered.

"Fine," M/n laughed, setting his empty hand aside. "Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

He found himself startled when he was embraced in a hug, arms cemented to his sides, eyes wide as Katsuki rested against his stiff shoulder, muttering a reply.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

A dumb grin hitched itself upon both their faces.

Brothers? Yes.

Friends? Indefinitely.