53 - a brother's burden

People can be easily broken. Take away their voice, their freedom, their joy, and replace it with hunger. An ache so ravishing, so belly-deep, that they'll do anything to retrieve what once was rightfully theirs.

People can be easily broken, and General Kurutta stuck by that.

She doesn't discuss much about her private life, so why should she tell you? Maybe she was raised in poverty and sought vengeance on the government by rising in the ranks. Maybe she was born evil, ready to seduce information out of anyone with her quirk. Maybe she was a mastermind, or an over-lord, a merciless woman who'd extinguished the gift of life from countless families. Or maybe she was just an old monk, doing her job to bring prosperity. 

Of course that meant sacrifices; to gain something grand, many things have to be lost. That is the law that keeps the universe in balance. So, yes. Children have died under her hand, heroes have disappeared without a trace after questioning her morals. And she was a close acquaintance of the Devil himself.

But that's none of your business. She couldn't care less about your empathy for her workers -- like that troublesome Bakugou M/n or the man named Hawks. For she believed she'd made their lives better, and in doing so, was improving society day by day. If it wasn't for her authority, her reign, then more civilians would be lying dead in the streets. Too many villains running amok, disrupting her great plan. 

What she would tell you though, is that she has never been scared. Only once. 

A long time ago, she was a simple monk, conducting regular duties of the upkeep of an old temple in Musutafu. People travelled for miles for blessings, to be cleansed of their sins, to feel right as rain again. It was her burden to carry stranger's secrets, all while whispering into their ears that they were free. 

Her quirk helped with that. Paranoia. One whisper could become true in someone's mind. Or if she said a harmful curse, it would rot their brain from the core. She'd consoled a murderer once, a man who'd committed heinous crimes, and was now ridden with a son. "His name is Keigo," the man had trembled, knelt on his knees before her at the shrine, "I can't raise him. He'll rat me out when he's old enough to speak."

"Then keep your son tongueless. Beat any allegations by purifying yourself, and put your pain unto your son." she had smiled. This four foot tall woman, wizened with age, spoke to a man about abusing his son with a grin on her face.

"Isn't that wrong?" the murdered asked, eyes shaking in his crazed sockets.

Her eyes held the wrath of a diseased god, drunk on power. "Wrong is nothing to do with a careless child. We tame them, give them a table to sit at, food to eat, a roof over their head no matter how much mould grows on it. Shouldn't they be grateful, these children of ours?" Her quirk came off her in waves, a darkly purple glow that settled in his mind. "If you're so worried about him, I'll have my friend keep an eye on him, she might even take him in if he gets up to no good. She's beginning a Hero Commission. She'll train him, make him great."

And so Keigo Takami's fate was sealed.

Another boy she would ruin was Bakugou M/n. Of course, she had to wait a few years for him to be born.

A great quirk needed a successor, and she had been asked to deliver one. Find a child that would possess enough strength to contain All For One. You see, the heroes trusted her, All Might considered her a great ally, having been funded by her agency in desperate times, paying his medical bills. He would never know the money was stained with blood. Of course her quirk came in handy with that big, blonde idiot. She'd tell him what came from her was good, and he believed it.

When she told him he'd make a great teacher at U.A, he believed her.

When she told him to leave Bakugou M/n behind and use that quirkiness boy, Izuku Midoriya instead, he trusted her slimy words.