39- the last alliance

M/n sat with his elbows resting on the table, the soft hiss of metal steaming under his skin made a frown bob on the surface of his face. He picked at the skin around his thumbs 'til they bled, and then sucked harshly at the newly formed, self-inflicted injuries. He sat there, waiting for his signal to enter the stage, thinking.

He thought about people. The public, the crowd. The domestic viewers and street glancers. Of what they already thought of him- he, no doubt, was rolled into the spotlight like a golden egg they wanted to see hatch. Or, a better way to describe himself, a bomb about to blow.

The mere thought of being perceived by strangers beyond his social circle was frightening, hundreds- no thousands of people now had formed their own opinions, mockeries, distastes toward him.
And that, no matter how much he smiled and helped other people up from the ground to which he threw them, could never change.

Then, he thought of his family. The three people in his life that remained constant. His mother whom he shared the same hair-colour and music taste- the way they tied their aprons and sighed in frustration, simultaneously.

His father, whom he loved dearly and only wanted to make proud, with whom they shared the same temperament, and love for simple, quiet moments. Whose eyes crinkled at the corners when he smiled and blushed when abash with emotion.

And his twin. Together since day zero. Same eye colour, jagged teeth, stocky legs and handsome faces that twisted with rage and smoothed out like butter when relaxed.

The boy who was the closest anyone could be to him, to basically be him, and yet he was too out of reach. He didn't understand who M/n was- how could he, when he barely knew himself?
A liar? Yes. A Hero? Maybe. A Villain. Probably by now. A good son? A good brother? A good person? Perhaps some goals, he spoke to himself like his nursery teacher who was never sure about his aspirations, should be kept simple.

Because, Bakugou M/n, you shooting for the stars isn't a great idea. You'll burn them up, kill them, and then nobody will see the stars. You'll only leave us in darkness.

And lastly, like every situation, he thought of himself. Traditionally the idea of a bought with his bro was an opportune moment to kick that whiny bastard's mouth and show him what it looked like to be the mature, taller, and stronger twin.

This was a forced breakage of loyalty. No backyard scuffle or pointless gym competition. This was a screaming crowd and buzzing cameras, onlooking classmates and dictators. Shigiraki... Hawks... Kurutta... All Might... Aizawa. These people will watch and scrutinise and punish. This was the final trophy that cost hurting what meant dearest to him- more than his own life.

Swallowing thickly, he watched the hands on the clock tick, each looming second sending him spiralling and bile rising.

He was going to have to break his brother's trust, and in doing so, protect the promise he made all that time ago. And this action he believed justified, would set his brother on a course that would drive them so surely he believed apart.

He was going to make Katsuki what he could never be. A Hero.

And what does every Hero need? 

An arch nemesis.

"An enemy only I can defeat!" And so be it, he sighed and stood on his feet, scraping the chair back as his spine popped, so be it.

くコ:彡

"It's finally the last battle of the U.A High School sports festival! And let me be the one to say what's on all your minds: what an anticipated fight!" Present Mic pumped up the crowd as two blond blobs below stood opposite one another. "It's fated, audience, is it not? Like Romulus and Remus! Cain and Abel-"

"Lindsay Lohan when she fenced herself in The Parent Trap-" Aizawa's monotonous interruption made Mic sputter and the crowd murmur confusedly at the niche reference, "God, I love that movie." the tired mummy sank in his chair and sipped on his coffee unbothered.

"Right- yes, like- like that fight! Except less ginger-"

"Nothing wrong with gingers!" That cool girl from 1-B hollered,

"-And with more explosions! This match of two brothers will no doubt go down in U.A history, as the top of the first years will be decided with this one match! From the hero course, standing at 180cm: Bakugou M/n! Versus-- the wielder of 172cm, also from the hero course: Bakugou Katsuki!"

The younger Bakugou had to contain his screams of inditement as he stiffened his brows and glared towards the mirror image of a boy standing away from him.

He levelled his crimson eyes, burning with the lit match of impatience, toward the ones that stared back. Looking a little chuffed, lanky bastard had the audacity to roll his eyes. This made Katsuki's chest tighten unwillingly.

"Do you not want to fight your brother, Bakugou?" IcyHot had asked, as if it were the simplest, dumbest question in the world.

'Of course not.' He had wanted to whisper, 'Not when he's in this state. He hates himself and I don't know why and I can't- I can't fix it. I can't return his favour of helping people- I screw up doing his thing and he screws up mine.'

'and what's that?' the universe asked.

He breathed out as he readied his first explosion, watching hands across the border glow from yellow to orange.

'knowing he can do better.' and the first bomb went off.

くコ:彡

At his office, Masaru Bakugou did something unexpected. He switched off the radio, and put on his coat.

He was going home to his wife.

Inko Midoriya couldn't even breathe with the sobs wracking her small body. The vase of (favourite/flowers) beside the blaring television wilted as one of her greatest fears played out before her watery eyes.

And her son, Izuku, was in a state akin fear. Still and shaking, opposing the idea of jumping the rail and becoming a pick me girl by putting himself between them: 'Stop! Look at me! This isn't you, okay? Don't fight one another!' He wanted to cry and the overwhelming feeling to do so came out in a hard gasp.

This was twisted. This was sick. 

Fate, Present Mic had called it.

The most entertaining event of the century, the crowd would call it.

A cruel sport, All Might called it as he put his face ashamedly in his hands.

A rebirth, Shigiraki claimed, and a 'waste of cable bills' by Dabi.

But to the two fighting, or about to fight, as all these amalgamating thoughts were collecting in slow-motion, like a time capsule meant to be buried and forgotten, would call it The Inevitable.

One would win. One would lose. And the two would never walk side by side again.