48 - Will.I.Am

The morning after being the Iida family's personal heater, Bakugou M/n made his way home to get ready for school. After creeping through the front door at 5am, he confronted his weary state in the mirror.

While brushing his teeth and rubbing the soreness under his eyes, he remembered a silly game he and Katsuki used to play as kids. Copying each other's movements like mimes, pretending they were a mirror image. It was funny when M/n led, because Katsuki would have to copy everything, which lead to nose-picking and butt scratching scenarios sending Tiny into fits of rage. His face going from 😝 to 😐, the image made M/n snort and choke on his mouthwash.

Riding the busy train to school, he texted his little brother a good morning, because that's what they did. Pretend things were normal; brushing big things under a rug made lumpy with many mistakes. When he didn't receive a message back, his throat tightened a little.

Earbuds wedged in and one hand holding the railing, he failed to see the many eyes double-taking his relaxed form. Passengers squeezed along the seating were in awe of the tall ash-bond boy staring out the windows, watching the blurry scenery.

A mother tried to call her young son back as he pushed through a forrest of legs. The youngster reached his target and pulled on his trouser leg adamantly.  M/n's eyes widened at the feeling, worried he was gonna be asked to get off, and removed an ear bud to stare down at the kid. The child had big shiny eyes and a slack smile, some baby teeth missing.

M/n gulped, awaiting some misinformed insult. "Hey, little man, you lost?" he asked politely.

"No, mister! I just wanted to say I think you're really cool! I stayed up all day and night to watch you over and over again, I wanna be like you when I grow up!" he beamed, showing off his arms which were wrapped lovingly in bandages.

"Oh, you hurt little buddy?" M/n crouched down, eye-level to the stunned kid.

"These? Nah, my quirk gets too hot for me sometimes, but it's all good." he gave a big thumbs up, eyes creasing with his toothless grin. M/n tilted his head fondly, then other voices piped in. Some quiet on the heaving train carriage, words carrying across like softly lapping waves on the shore.

"It's true kid, you were amazing." an old man sniffed behind his newspaper.

"My daughter pulled out her pencils to draw you- since being diagnosed with depression it was the first time I'd seen her enjoy her old ways. Thank you."  a middle-aged woman beamed at him.

"My whole family was rooting for you, Hell Hands! We heard Present Mic call you that, is it alright to call you that, sir?"

"Mine too! We were so gutted when you lost! You put up a good fight."

"The Association must be so proud of you! I can't wait to see what you do next!"

"Mister?" the little boy tugged on his leg when M/n straightened up to face out the window again, hand grappling for the sweat-slicked rail, "are you okay?"

Bakugou M/n couldn't answer, if he split his mouth only sobs would come pouring out. So he nodded serenely. 

For the rest of the journey, his body swayed along to the movement of the train, a hand nestled on the young boy's head as they swayed together. A little boy in bandages, clinging to his hero, and the other with a heart hooked by the most caring words he'd ever heard.

This was the nicest day of his life. On a train settled back into contempt humming. Passengers, people, strangers, feeling safe in his presence. 

After all this time, he had never felt so light.

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

Class 1-A was bustling with excitement, as it seemed many others had experienced kind words during their humble journeys.