2. Lost ones

Soon after Loki leaves, his brother prepares himself to face the people of Asgard. When he looks at the hammer that he could not kill Thanos with, he starts to feel his throat close up. 

  "Odinson," a guard comes in his room. "They're ready for you."

   Thor nods his head and follows the guard outside the palace where a crowd of scared civilians gather. They silence themselves as soon as they see their future King approach them. He swallows hard and clears his throat before beginning his speech. 

   "I know you all are confused," he starts. "Out of no where, people started disappearing right before your eyes. I've witnessed the same happen back on Midgard. To the best of their abilities, the heroes of Earth tried to stop the threat known as The Mad Titan." They all gasp. "Yes you heard that right. His plan was to bring stability to the universe by wiping out half of the living population. He gathered all six infinity stones and unfortunately succeeded in that goal."

   "And where is Thanos now?" someone amongst the crowd speaks. 

   "No one knows. The people of Midgard are trying their best to locate him as we speak, and Asgard will be the first to know once he's found."

   "Is it true?" a man with a long beard asks him. "Is the Allfather really gone?"

   That question hit straight to Thor's heart. He hasn't had time to grieve or even think on the matter that he lost his father. "I'm afraid so," he lets out with a low voice but everyone seems to have heard. All these questions is making him tense up. He clenches his fist as another person opens their mouth.

   "So just like that, and they're gone? How does that happen? Are you saying that they died? We need answers."

   "I'm not saying anything like that. I'd like to believe that they're not dead," he pauses. "The lost will not be forgotten. If you've lost a sister or brother, come to the palace to have their names written down tomorrow. Once all of the names are collected, we will honor them with an appropriate ceremony."   

   "Are you going to be our King," a woman says with a sincere tone. Thor finally looks up at the crowd to meet her blue eyes. He nods his head. 

   "I will," he gulps. Everyone seems to have no more questions after the biggest one was answered for them. The silence only makes his heart ache more. If he told them how he failed, he fears they won't want him as their ruler. "Are we done?" he turns to the guard that escorted him out previously. Before the guard could say anything, Thor dismisses himself to retire to his chambers. 

   He walks with a fast pace along with his racing heart. As soon as he steps into the palace, he grabs onto the wall for balance and places his hand over his chest. His breathing isn't normal and he's very confused. He's never felt like this before, this much pain. Have I been poisoned. But no I didn't eat anything, I just drank. Drinking doesn't do this to my heart. He feels like his heart is about to beat out from his chest at any moment. 

   Ryanne sees the prince struggling to regain his breathing. "Thor oh my," she makes her way to him and places her hand on his back as he drops to his knees. "Should I call someone. Maybe Loki," she suggests but he only shakes his head. "Okay," she nods her head. "Breathe then," she says to the man who can't get out his words. She keeps repeating the word and soon enough he's able to do it. "Good," she lets out relieved. "What was that all about? Are you okay?"

   "No," he says with an obvious tone. "Nothing about what just happened is okay," he tells her as he's rubbing his necks. He places his hands on the ground as he props himself to sit with the wall behind him. "I don't know why I feel so guilty. It's not like I was the one with the glove in my hand."

   Ryanne looks at him and sighs before sitting by him on the ground. "You bear it so we don't have to," she says as if she was reading his mind. 

   He looks up in shock at how she knew. Loki must have told her. "Exactly," he smiles. 

   "Thor, you didn't disappear," she states the obvious. "I think that means something. I think," she pauses and stands on her feet. She reaches out her hand for the god of thunder to grab and get up as well. "I think that you're supposed to be king, and you will lead your people to success."

   Thor looks in the optimistic girls eyes. He felt something for her back on Midgard but never did anything after finding it amusing that Loki might have fallen for her as well. He thought Loki would never love, so when he did, he didn't want to ruin it for him. "Thank you Ryanne."

   "Anytime," she winks playfully. 

   "Are you Ryanne?" a maid approaches them. 

   "Yes," she raises a brow. 

   "Loki had me set up your chambers. It is in the northeast wing my Lady."

   Ryanne smiles awkwardly at the fact that she has been called a Lady. She is anything but, having lived on the streets before she met the princes. She doesn't bother to correct her. "Thank you," she says and the maid bows to her prince before leaving. 

   "Shall I escort you M'lady," he teases and raises his arm for her to grab.

   "Well I wouldn't want to get lost," she smiles back. 

~~~

   In the middle of the night Loki hears someone trying to open his doors. He conjures up a dagger and hides for the intruder to not spot him. As soon as they walk in he quickly brings it to their neck from behind. "Give me a reason not to cut you," he spits out. 

   "Loki, it's me," Ryanne pleads.

   He immediately makes the dagger disappear then turns her around to face him. "What are you doing here? I had a maid set out your chambers. Did she not find you?"

   "No she did, and it was lovely. But I would rather stay here with you if you don't mind."

   The raven haired man raises his brows, and she blushes. "How did you get in through the doors?"

   "Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answers to," she teases and makes her way to his bed.

   "You're such a minx," he smiles widely and follows her. He pulls the covers on his side and gets in. She props her head up with her elbow on the pillow. Even in the dark, he could see her dark pupils staring at him. "Was there a specific reason you chose not to stay in your own bed," he breaks the silence.

   She licks her lips and looks at his. "Nope," she says then lays her head on the pillow and turns her face away from him. "Goodnight Loki."

   He laughs in disbelief then shakes his head. "Goodnight Ryanne."

~~~

   Loki wakes up and places his arm on the empty side of the bed. Where did she go?  He leaves his bed and looks into the terrace but she's not there. Suddenly he hears the water stop running. 

   After getting dressed, Ryanne steps out from the wash room. "You're awake," she says to him. "You should have joined me."

   Loki's eyes widen, and he feels his face getting warmer. "What are you doing today?"

   She sighs. "I don't know. Probably visit old friends in the city. What about you?"

   "I'll be assisting my brother to tie up loose ends caused by the snap. Children were left orphaned you know?" they both swallow hard. "We'll also be preparing for his coronation so that's something the people can look forward to."

   Ryanne nods her head then slides her sword to her back in its pouch. "Good luck with that."

   "Maybe I can show you the gardens when you get back. There's a waterfall that is magnificent-"

   "Yea, I'll think about it," she cuts him off making Loki stunned.

   "Of course," he attempts to smile away the rejection. 

   She brings her lips in then leaves him alone to his own thoughts. Things are weird between them. But right now, nothing makes sense in Asgard.