16. Lessons learned

Asgard

   After Loki and Thor had left to find their sister, they leave Asgard in the hands of none other than Ryanne. She doesn't know the first thing to do when it comes to ruling a whole realm. Maybe if I don't think about it, I'll turn my head and see the two boys back as quick as they left. Nothing has to change. I'll just go work at the library like it was any other day. 

   As soon as she starts walking in the direction, she hears the footsteps of the guard that Thor sent for her. She notices his shadow on the ground and furrows her brows. She stops and slowly turns around to face him. 

   "Can I help you?"

   "I thought I made it clear. King Thor ordered that we follow your rule while he's away. For that, I must protect and keep you safe."

   "I can protect myself, thank you." She continues and still hears his steps. She turns around again, this time annoyed. 

   "I am only following the orders of the King. If anything were to happen to you..."

   Ryanne looks at the ground and lets out a sigh. "Alright. Just do it from a distance."

   The guard nods his head and waits for Ryanne to be farther away to proceed after her. 

~~~

   Ryanne shines the last book and looks again at the child that Loki once brought in here. He sits there, with a book, looking sad by a maid. 

   "Freya, do you need anything from me. I'm going to go on break."

   "No dear. Have a good rest of your day," the library keeper smiles. 

   Ryanne puts the book in its place on the shelf and heads to the little boy. "Hello there," she kneels to the chairs height. He looks nervous. "Well this is awkward... Do you not remember me?" she's offended. 

   "Oh no I do."

   "Then what is it?" she wants to know why he's tense. 

   "It must be the company of a beautiful woman," the maid makes her presence known. Link blushes and lowers his head to avoid Ryanne's gaze. 

   "Is that so?" she's amused. He clearly seems uncomfortable with the maid being by him at all times. It almost reminds her of this morning and the guard. "Why don't I take you out into the city. You must be bored of the palace."

   He looks up with his eyes wide and hopeful. "That sounds like fun." His mood drops when he gestures to the maid. She'll only follow. He can't catch a break. 

   "You don't mind if I take it from you?" Ryanne asks the woman. She thinks and hesitates about it. "I'll have you know, the King has left me in charge," she smirks and looks at the guard who pretends that he's not watching her as soon as they make eye contact. 

   "I suppose why not," she lets out nervously. Link shuts his book and shoots up not wanting to waste any time. "Just return him back with all his pieces."

   Ryanne fakes a smile before she heads for the door with Link by her side. "She is something," she attempts to connect with him. 

   "Tell me about it."

   Ryanne smiles genuinely. "What's your name?""

   "Loki calls me Link."

   "What's your real name?"

   "Sirlink."

   "Well what do you want me to call you?"

   "I like Link."