20. Powerless

Asgard

   Ryanne still can't wrap her head around what happened with her when she was defending herself against Hijack's new weapon. She had created some sort of shield, that the girl's weapon couldn't penetrate. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Wanda showed me the Phoenix. It protected me?...

   Ryanne struggles with anxiety, she always has, but she tries hard to not let it affect her. Ever since her vision, the constant worry of not knowing what the Phoenix is, and its capabilities, eats at her. "Will it someday wake up and control her?" is one of the many unanswered questions that she has. I need answers. 

   "Queen Regent," a guard intrudes in and bows. "We have found the location of your previous attacker. What would you like us to do?"

   "I told you to do no such things," her breathing starts to get heavy. "You can't just... Well, never mind. I'll have you drop the matter."

   "But-"

   "I am in charge so you will do as I say," she says with authority. 

   "Yes ma'am," he  bows nervously. 

   Fandral walks in with a smile on his face and passes the guard to approach Ryanne. "Is this man bothering you, your majesty?"

   "No, he was just leaving." She looks at him then he scurries off. "What do you want from me," she squints her eyes at him. 

   He's offended. "Well I don't want anything. Just thought I'd see how your handling the power that has been so graciously handed to you. I'm still hurt that Thor didn't offer it to me, but I can see that he has a stronger connection with you."

   The bold assumption causes her to hold in her breath and look away from his eyes. "You're part of The Warriors Three?" she tries to change the subject.

   "Yes," he furrows his blond brows. 

   "Train with me," she lets out the breath she was keeping in. 

   His eyes widen in delight, and he's stunned. 

   "Let me guess. You won't swing your sword at a woman?" she raises a brow. 

   "Well," he starts. She rolls her eyes and lets out an annoyed sigh. "I'll have to warn you that I don't go easy, no matter who my opponent is."

   "I'm counting on that," she smirks as she walks to the middle of the room. He follows but creates some distance. They both get into position. "I should probably warn you about something too," she retrieves her sword that is still secured in its pouch.

   "Like what?"

   "Don't underestimate me."

   He becomes intrigued, but that quickly ends as soon as she swings at him. He dodges and backs away as he pulls out his weapon too. "I'm starting to think that you want to kill me for the laugh of it." She swings again, and his eyes widen. "Well alright then."

   He starts to make his move, but with every swing, Ryanne blocks it with her smaller sword. The roles switch where she has the upper hand. Fandral said he wouldn't go easy, but whoever knows him knows that he is capable of ending it right now. 

   She charges at his ankles causing him to land on his back with a heavy blow. She stands above him and aims her sword to his neck. "Any last words?"

   "Ryanne look out," he shouts.

   "What?" she furrows her brows and looks behind her to see nothing. 

   "Made you look." Fandral swings his legs to knock her to the ground before standing up himself. 

   Ryanne groans and arches her back in pain from the sudden fall back. 

   Fandral returns his sword and lets out a sigh. He looks at her with sympathy and reaches out his hand for her to grab. "You want to tell me what's bothering you?"

   She rolls her eyes and gets up on her own. "Nothing's wrong," she says annoyed. "I just need to get better."

   "Better at what? Fighting?"

   "I want to be ready for whatever comes at my way."

   "Well you wouldn't need worry of that. What could you possibly be preparing for?"

   She swallows hard and holds back anything that she might want to say. "Thank you Fandral. Let's meet tomorrow so you can help me with that," she begins to walk away. 

   "Ryanne wait," he grabs her hand then immediately lets go. "What in the nine realms?" he looks at his palm that has become slightly burned. Ryanne's eyes widen in shock. "What are you?"

   "I-... I don't know," she stumbles with her words. "We should probably find a healing paste for that."

   "I'm fine. Really. It's nothing," he pauses. "Are you usually that hot to the touch?"

   "No," she answers quickly. "Just when I have a lot of things on my mind... It might have something to do with the fact that I might be a-"

   He waits for her to finish her sentence. 

   "A phoenix," she says with doubt in her tone. 

   "Ryanne that's amazing," he gets excited for her. 

   "Is it really?"

   "Yes. Well, how do you know?" he wants to know everything. 

   "This witch on Midgard helped me see."

   "So what's the problem?"

   She eases down a little after seeing how he's genuinely interested in her and the phoenix. "Well I get headaches, and sometimes I can't sleep. There's just so much I don't know about the thing inside me, and I'm not going to lie, it scares me," she lets out a small chuckle. 

   "This witch from Midgard. Why don't you go and see her again. Maybe she can help you."

   "I've thought about that, but I can't. Even if I wanted to."

   "Why?"

   "Because she's gone."

   He lowers his head to remember the friends that he has lost. "What about Loki? He might be able to help. The man loves to read anything and everything."

   She shakes her head and smiles. "I don't want to worry him about me when he has his sister and her people to worry about for himself. I can do some reading for myself, and maybe once I find out more information, I'll become less stressed." She tries to convince herself. 

   "I'll help you," he beams. 

   "Oh you don't have to."

   "I want to. I need to know what were dealing with, and if we need to put you down before anything happens," he teases. 

   "If you say so."

A/N: Ayyo she sus