IV

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~

Bravery, an adjective: ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage.
_________________________

Bravery is something I lack. Ever since my mother died and my father moved to Paris, I feel the need to gain it along with some common sense – for instance, not running into a burning building. But I mean, who would?

A few days had passed. Anne was mortified after all the stories got spread around. She refused to return to school. Though she is a little much at times, I do miss her spunky self. Diana and Ruby tried to convince her to come back, but it was no use. I guess Anne wasn't brave enough to do so just yet.

I lay in my bed, attempting to finish my school book. I've been doing extra credit work. Suddenly, loud knocking can be heard on the front door, startling me. I jump up and walk out into the hallway, seeing Alexander at the door.

"You have to come quickly, get as many buckets as you can!" Gilbert? Why is he here at such a late hour?

"Alex, what's going on?" I yawn. Gilbert glances at me, and I see the corner of his mouth rise up. Probably because I'm in my pajamas and I look like a fool.

"There's a house fire. They need our help," Alexander says tiredly before heading out to the field to grab more buckets.

"Oh my! That's awful," I exclaim. I brush past Gilbert and grab the buckets off our porch, taking them towards the carriage. "Coming with us, Blythe?"

"I would appreciate that. We need to get there as quickly as possible after all," he says out of breath.

I turn and yell. "Hurry up, Alexander!" We quickly get into the carriage.

Gilbert looks me up and down and snickers. "Nice jammies." I roll my eyes. Alexander sits the buckets in my lap, and we take off towards the fiery flames.

"Do you know whose it is?" I ask.

Gilbert shakes his head. "No. I just saw the flames and figured we should go help before the whole forest burns down."

"Good thinking," Alexander nods. We finally locate the fire. I gasp when I see it's the Gillis house.

"T-That's Ruby's house!" I nudge Alexander. He stops the carriage, and the three of us jump out to grab the buckets.

"Stay here," Alexander demands.

"Let me help!" I yell over the commotion.

"Ada, stay!" Gilbert yells. I huff as they run to fill up the buckets.

"Keep those buckets comin'! Keep them movin'. Pass these down the line! Hurry, hurry!" The men yell as they run all over the property.

"Ada!" I turn and see Diana and Anne. I quickly run towards them.

"Oh, I've missed you so much!" Anne yells as we hug.

"I've missed you too." I smile. "Is everyone alright? Where's Ruby?"

Diana points off and I see the Gillis family safe and sound. "They got out just in time."

"Hey, keep the water coming! Come on!" I turn and see Alexander and Gilbert on the roof.

"Those boys are going to get hurt!" I huff.

"Why are the doors and windows open?" Anne asks. We give her a confused look. She suddenly runs to her wagon and grabs a blanket, she then runs to the water trough and dunks the blanket.