XXXVIII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Atom. A noun. The smallest component of an element having the chemical properties of the element, consisting of a nucleus containing combinations of neutrons and protons and one or more electrons bound to the nucleus by electrical attraction; the number of protons determines the identity of the element.
_________________________

The morning sun streamed through the window as I groggily made my way to the breakfast table. My head throbbed with an impending headache, and the fatigue clung to my every step. The familiar twinge of discomfort hinted that my monthly visitor was finally returning after its unexplained absence.

"Morning, Ada," Gilbert greeted with a warm smile, seemingly oblivious to my less-than-enthusiastic state. "How did you sleep?"

I offered a half-hearted smile, taking a seat at the table. "Not great, Gilbert."

"Ah, that's unfortunate," he sympathized. "Well, on a brighter note, my first study session with Miss Stacy is this morning. Can you believe it?"

I mustered a weak, "That's great, Gilbert," trying to focus on his excitement rather than my own discomfort.

He leaned in, eager to share more details. "We're going to meet today after school to discuss the full study plan. I can't wait to dive into medical studies. It's like a dream come true!"

My appetite waned as he continued, my head pounding in rhythm with his words. "That sounds wonderful, Gilbert," I managed, my tone lacking its usual warmth.

He noticed my distant demeanor. "Ada, is something bothering you? You seem a bit off."

A sigh escaped me as I rubbed my temples. "Just not feeling my best, Gilbert. Can we talk about this later?"

Undeterred, he pressed on, oblivious to the brewing storm within me. "Of course, but I wanted to share the good news with you. I just can't wait to-"

I shot him an exasperated look. "Gilbert, I said later. Can you please give it a rest for now?"

His enthusiasm dimmed, replaced by a flicker of concern. "Ada, I'm just trying to share something exciting with you."

"Well, maybe I don't want to hear about it right now!" I snapped, the words sharper than intended. The table fell silent, the weight of my outburst hanging in the air.

Without waiting for a response, I pushed away from the table, my appetite completely gone. "Excuse me, I need to get ready for the day." The room echoed with the sound of my chair scraping against the floor as I retreated to the solace of my room.

As I started to change out of my nightgown, my eyes caught a glimpse of something unexpected – a stain on my undergarments. A stain that explained the discomfort, the headache, and the absence that had plagued me.

The realization hit me, and a mix of relief and frustration surged within. "Finally," I murmured, acknowledging the return of my monthly cycle after its mysterious hiatus. Yet, the timing couldn't have been worse.

I stared at the stained fabric, contemplating the implications of this untimely development. The dull ache in my abdomen seemed to mock the excitement of the morning. How could I face the day feeling like this?

As I hastily cleaned myself up and changed into a fresh set of clothes, the thoughts raced through my mind. Gilbert's enthusiasm for his academic journey felt distant and insignificant compared to the discomfort that now demanded my attention. How could I focus on accelerated studies when my own body had its own agenda?