XX

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Assault. A noun. Meaning a sudden, violent attack.
_________________________
Warning: ⚠️ SA

It's been a day or so since I visited Marilla. I finally made my way into town and bought some food and supplies. The envelope that Aunt Jo gave me had quite a bit of cash in it. I'll have to write her and tell her thank you.

I decided to bake her an apple pie. She always loved my mother's and I know she'll tell me if it's just as good or better.

It was starting to get chilly so the apple pie actually kept my arms awfully warm on the walk there.

I reach Green Gables, and the comforting sight of the cozy farmhouse makes me smile. As I approach the door, I can hear the muffled sound of conversation inside.

"Mr. Dunlop shouldn't you be using this time to pack?" Marilla asks. She is definitely irritated.

A new voice pipes in. "It's Anne! I'm baking her favorite! I can't wait to hear all about her adventure."

I reach the door the same time as Marilla. She flinches when she sees me. "Ada, you about scared me to death!" She smiles but it's not her usual one.

"I'm sorry, Marilla!" I giggle. I look over her shoulder at Mr. Dunlop. "I brought you this. Would you like me to take it inside?" I give her a knowing look.

She nods. "Yes if you don't mind."

I go into the house and I'm greeted by Mr. Dunlop. "Good day Miss!" He exclaims cheerfully. "You must be, Ada."

He makes me nervous but I can play along with this act. "Yes I am! You must be Mr. Dunlop! Anne adores you and Nate. She says you two have really made things interesting at Green Gables." She didn't but what's it matter?

"She is too kind." He looks down at the pie in my hands. "Whatcha got there?"

"Apple pie!" I smile. "It's my mother's recipe."

"Smells heavenly." He nods before going back to his cherry pie.

I walk to the kitchen table and place the pie down. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. I look up and meet eyes with Nate.

"Good evening, Ada." He flashes those pretty teeth.

"Evening, Nate." I give a little smile. "I just met your friend Mr. Dunlop. He's very kind."

"That he is." He nods. A horse neighs loudly as it pulls a carriage into Green Gables.

"Anne and the Barry's are back." Finally I can escape them. "Excuse me while I greet my family."

"You're related to William and Eliza?" Nate asks as he follows me out the door.

"Yes they're my aunt and uncle." I keep my eyes ahead. Once Eliza exits the carriage with Anne she starts expressing her disappointment, very loudly to Marilla. "Though I prefer to not associate myself with them." I stop in my tracks and he bumps into me.

"Sorry about that." He grabs my side as if I were about to fall.

"I wish to avoid the tension so I will be going now." I smile before walking towards the exit of Green Gables.

"You sure you don't want in on the good business?" He asks.

"Positive." I call over my shoulder.

***

I walked rather slowly on my way home. The crisp autumn air carried the fragrance of fallen leaves, mingling with the scent of damp earth. The vibrant hues of red, orange, and gold adorned the trees, creating a kaleidoscope of colors that danced in the gentle breeze. Avonlea, in its autumn attire, looked like a masterpiece painted by nature itself.

As I strolled along the familiar path, the crunching sound beneath my boots echoed the finality of autumn, the leaves signaling the end of their journey. A squirrel darted across my path, busily collecting acorns before the impending winter. The sun, casting a warm glow through the golden foliage, painted intricate patterns on the ground. Nature was transitioning, preparing for the quiet slumber that winter would bring.

As I approached the clearing, the distant sounds of chirping birds and rustling leaves mingled with the rhythm of my footsteps. The beauty of the season held a sense of fleeting magic, and I couldn't help but absorb the tranquility that surrounded me.

Suddenly, the rhythmic sound of running footsteps reached my ears. I turned towards the source, curious about the energetic arrival. Nate emerged from behind the trees, his features animated with a lively energy. Until they land on me. I stop in my tracks and so does he.

Nate's footsteps echo through the stillness, a stark contrast to the serene surroundings. His eyes, once filled with delight, darken as they fixate on me. The air thickens with tension, and an instinctive chill runs down my spine.

I freeze, the rhythmic beat of my heart now matching the unsettling cadence of his footsteps. We lock eyes, a silent standoff that speaks volumes. His once lively features contort into a sinister grin, sending shivers down my spine.

"Nate, what's going on? I mean really." I manage to stammer, my voice betraying a mix of confusion and fear. His response is a chilling silence, broken only by the haunting rustle of leaves in the wind. "Where's Mr. Dunlop?"

He takes a step closer, and a sinking realization settles in the pit of my stomach. "I'm leaving Ada. I know you know." The lively energy that accompanied his arrival now twists into something darker, something malevolent.

"Know what? That you are a crook? I saw your work site. Someone would have to be a fool to give you anything." I attempt to back away, my gaze darting around for an escape route, but the forest seems to close in around me. I do spot a good sized rock.

"Guess that's why your uncle gave me everything they've got." He shrugs. I look down at his hands. That must be where the cash is.

"My uncle is a fool. I, however, am not." I declare, seizing a nearby rock with a determined resolve. With a swift motion, I hurl it as hard as I can at Nate. It grazes the top of his head, eliciting a scowl and a stumble. I seize the opportunity, fueled by adrenaline, and sprint as fast as my legs can carry me towards the safety of the house.

As I sprint towards the house, the urgency of escape pulsates through every fiber of my being. Suddenly, I feel an impact on the back of my leg, causing me to stumble and nearly lose my footing. Glancing back, I see Nate smirking, having thrown a rock that grazed me. The pain shoots through my leg, but determination fuels my resolve to keep moving forward.

The dirt road stretches ahead, and I push myself to maintain speed, every step a struggle against the throbbing pain. In the midst of the chase, I hear a rustling behind me, and before I can react, a projectile sails through the air. It strikes my shoulder, and I cry out in pain as I stagger, momentarily slowed by the unexpected blow.

Gasping for breath, I force myself to keep running, my focus fixed on the distant safety of the house. The lowering sun casts long shadows on the path, creating a surreal backdrop to the unfolding nightmare. The woods that were once my refuge now seem to conspire against me as a branch trips me, making me spiral on the ground. I groan out in pain as I come to a stop, hitting my head hard on the ground.

A shadow casts on my face. My eyes flutter open to see Nate standing over me. A sinister glint flickers in his eyes as he kneels down towards me. The weight of dread intensifies, and my mind races to comprehend the danger looming before me. I try to back away but he drops onto me and pins my wrists down. "You thought you could escape, Ada," he hisses, the words dripping with malice. "But you can't outrun what's coming."

Panic surges through me as I realize his intentions. I try to fight but I can't muster up the energy. My vision starts to go blurry as I start to lose consciousness and all I feel is the throbbing pain in my head and the throbbing pain between my legs.