XXVI

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Monstrosity. A noun, plural. Meaning, an outrageous or ugly person or thing; monster.
_________________________

Upon awakening, the comforting sound of Gilbert's conversation with Sebastian filled the room. My heart danced with joy as I felt the lingering embrace of his arms around me.

Sebastian's disgruntled voice disrupted the morning tranquility. "How do you expect me to make breakfast with this? All you've got in here is milk, butter, bread, and cheese. No wonder she was so relieved to see you. She's been starving!"

Gilbert hushed him urgently, "Would you stop it! You'd be surprised by what she can make with just those four items."

"Psh. You white people and your plain food," Sebastian scoffed, shaking his head.

Squirming, Gilbert whispered, "I need to get up."

"Then get up. That's what legs are for."

"No. I don't want to wake her. Plus—" he paused, "—my arm is numb."

"Good luck getting out of that one then." Sebastian laughs.

I giggled as I sat up, Gilbert flinching at my sudden movement. "All you had to do was ask me to move," I teased. "I've been awake this whole time." I looked at Sebastian. "And I haven't been starving, thank you."

Sebastian cringed, and I couldn't help but snicker. "I'll be going to the kitchen to make—buttered toast."

Turning to Gilbert, I asked, "Why didn't you just get up?"

"You told me to stay with you," he replied matter-of-factly. "I always keep a promise." Standing to face me, he wore a smile that mirrored the warmth I felt in my heart.

I'm reminded of last night, how the good outweighed the bad, I walked around to his side of the bed and practically jumped into his arms.

"Whoa!" he stumbled before regaining his balance, wrapping his arms around me tightly.

"I missed you so much," I breathed out as my arms held onto his neck. "I really hope you found yourself out there. I don't think I can let you leave again." His laughter echoed through the room.

"I missed you more than you could ever know," he admitted, pulling back to look at me. "Your hair has gotten so long."

"Are you taller?" I asked, observing him, and my eyes widened when I noticed his biceps. "Dear heavens. They're like the size of grapefruits."

"I don't know what grapefruits you've been seeing. I do admit though that steamboats are no joke," he insisted making me laugh. "Your laughter is the sweetest melody, Ada Faye." he whispered, his eyes sparkling with genuine joy. "I can't believe how much I've missed this. This time apart wasn't too tough on you was it?"

The realization of his return hit me anew, and I hugged him tighter. "It wasn't as bad in the beginning. Aunt Josephine kept me busy. But the last few months, when I returned to Avonlea, were the hardest," I admitted, a genuine smile gracing my lips. "Though I must admit I felt your presence in the smallest details, like the warmth of the sun or the rustling of leaves."

Gilbert's gaze softened, his thumb gently brushing away a stray tear from my cheek. "And I felt your strength pulling me back, especially during the stormiest nights on the steamboat. You wouldn't believe the waves out in the Atlantic."

"Let me get dressed and then you can tell me all about your adventures." I smile as I try to back away. He keeps his arms on me, a teasing grin dances on his lips. "Release me." I command.