V

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~

Vexatious, an adjective to describe someone who tends to cause annoyance, frustration, and worry.
_________________________

Vexatious is an adjective I use quite frequently.

I use it to describe my uncle. It's not that I don't love the man; he's just a materialistic moron with zero emotions.

Josie Pye is vexatious because she's a trouble-making terror who has nothing better to do with her time.

I also use vexatious to describe my father. My reasoning for this is that he doesn't like to let his children know his whereabouts, leaving us to constantly worry about him. But God be with him, I guess.

Although the individuals I've mentioned and the rest of the people in this town can be quite vexatious, I decided to bring the boys some chicken broth to warm them up in this chilly weather. The one downside to this was that I forgot that Alexander took the carriage this morning, meaning that I had to wheel out two large pots of broth on an old wagon. It was quite a bumpy ride, but I eventually arrived. I spot my brother on the roof helping out Gilbert and Billy.

"Put your backs into it, boys!" Mr. Cuthbert yells.

"Afternoon, Minister." I turn to see Anne and Ruby with baskets of pastries. Guess I'm not the only one with a bright idea. "I'm learning to bake. Care for a scone?"

The minister smiles and gently grabs it from her hand. "Well, don't mind if I do."

I stroll over to a spotless work table and sit the pots, bowls, and silverware down for the boys.

"Hey, look, it's the freak and her new twin sister." I roll my eyes at Billy's ignorance. "Then again, I don't care if it's Quasimodo. As long as they bring food."

"Keep up with the ignorant comments and you won't be getting anything for lunch, Andrews." I retort. I feel a body collide into mine making me spill a bowl of hot soup all over myself. I look down and see Ruby has fallen on her bum.

"Ruby!" I hiss.

"That was great!" Billy laughs.

"Ada, are you alright?" I look up to see Gilbert looking down at me.

"Ruby..." Anne mumbles as the girl starts to tear up.

"Girls are so useless. Guess you should've stayed home in the kitchen, eh?!" Billy continues to tease.

"Billy must you always be so repugnant?" The boy gawks at me. "I mean really, do you have nothing better to do? This behavior and treatment is unacceptable."

"Go home and bake cookies!" He yells back.

"They already did." Gilbert comments.

"What is wrong with you? This is Ruby's property, or did you forget?!" Anne yells.

"Why don't you shove off and leave the men to their work?" He yells.

"Why don't you give me that hammer and I'll finish the job myself, if you're too busy being a bully to get it done!!" Anne yells. Billy finally shuts up. Gilbert climbs down and checks on Ruby.

I sigh and go back to filling up the bowls for the boys. A towel is brought before my face. I glance over and see Gilbert with a look of pity painted across his face.

I shyly grab the towel and start drying myself off. "Thank you, Gilbert."

He nods. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, just a bit agitated." I sigh.

"Just ignore him. Billy is a bully who will never measure up to anything." He grabs a bowl of the broth and takes a sip. "You how ever will be the best cook in Avonlea." I watch as his eyes water and he takes another sip.

I smile at his compliment. "Thank you. But I don't know what I'm going to do with myself just yet."

"Well whatever it is you decide to do, you'll dominate it." He smiles.

"Please tell me the broth is still warm!" I hear my brother exclaim from behind me.

"Oh it's warm alright." I say as I gesture to my broth stained blouse.

"And delicious." Gilbert adds.

"Thank goodness. Because these men are starving." Alex turns and yells to the boys. "Lunch is here, get it while it's hot boys!" I quickly walk away from the table to avoid the crowd.

"Will you be joining us, Ada?" Gilbert asks.

"As much as I'd like to I can't. I have to tend to the cattle and I have some studying to do." I smile.

"Studying?" He lifts a brow at me.

"Yes, vocab." I smile.

"Are you planning on beating me in the spelling bee next week?" He asks.

I smirk and shrug my shoulders. "Possibly. But then again, I did beat you last year so maybe you should be studying."

He narrows his eyes in a playful manner. "We'll see about that Ada Faye. You have a good day." He tips his hat before joining the boys.

I smile to myself and head back home.