XLVI

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Sepsis. A noun. Meaning, local or generalized invasion of the body by pathogenic microorganisms or their toxins: the presence of pus-forming bacteria in the body.
_________________________

Under the comforting shade of the willow tree, its graceful branches reaching out like gentle arms, I find a sanctuary for my restless thoughts. The cool breeze rustles the leaves, and I close my eyes, taking a deep breath to steady my nerves.

With each heartbeat, my prayers rise like whispered pleas to the heavens. "God," I begin, my voice barely above a whisper, "please, spare Mary from this illness. She's a beacon of strength, and her absence would leave a void too deep to fill."

Tears threaten to spill as I continue, "I've witnessed the pain of loss, the emptiness it brings. If it is Your will to take her, grant her peace and comfort in Your embrace. But, Father, if there's a chance for her to stay with us, to continue the life she's built with Sebastian, I beg for Your mercy."

The words flow from my heart, a desperate plea tethered to hope. I envision Mary's smile, the warmth she brings to Avonlea, and the love she shares with her family. The willow tree stands as a silent witness, its branches swaying in response to the emotions that fill the air.

"If there's a way to ease Mary's suffering, reveal it to us. I trust Your plan, but I cannot help but implore You for her healing."

As the final words leave my lips, a sense of calm washes over me. Whether it is the answer to my prayer or the acceptance of what may come, I find peace beneath the willow's branches. I rise from my spot, leaving the willow tree with a lighter heart. The front door opens as I make my way back. Gilbert and Dr. Ward share a few words but I don't catch them. But I do catch the sympathetic looks from Dr. Ward as he leaves.

Gilbert guides me inside, I'm startled when Sebastian throws a mug across the room. I watch as his shoulders rise and fall at a rapid pace. Gilbert just stares at him mournfully.

"Bash?" Mary calls out. "Sebastian?"

"I'll go." Gilbert says, he gives me a begging look so I follow him. He knocks and we make our way into the room, I stand at the end of the bed and greet her.

"Sorry about that. Something fell. Bash is dealing with it." Gilbert lies.

"Oh." She nods. "Can you translate for me? The doctor said I have something called... sepsis?" I have never heard of that. "What is it? What's the cure?"

Gilbert grabs a stool and takes a seat by the bed. "Sepsis... is a kind of infection."

"I was afraid of that." She sighs. "What about Bash and Delphine and you two? Is it contagious?"

"We'll be fine." Gilbert says, staring at the ground.

"That's a relief." She sits up. "So he'll come back
with some kind of medicine? When? Because I am tired of this bed, and I've got baking to do." She chuckles, looking at me.

"He's not coming back." Gilbert says, and that's when the gears start turning in my head. I walk towards the window and lean against the wall.

"Right. I just need to ride this out, then." She nods. "How much longer, do you think, until I start feeling better?"

"I..." I watch as his features contort. "You're...I'm so sorry, Mary." He breathes out.

She stares at him blankly before whispering, "What?" Sebastian walks in with a numb look on his face.