LVII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Defilement. A noun. Meaning, the act of violating a person's chastity:
_________________________

"Now it's forward six and six fall back! Gents do-si-do!" The girls and I clap as the older couples dance. We are now in the barn, the night is young and I am ready to have some fun. "Right hand high and a left hand low on to the next and here we go."

"Ada, what is going on with you and Gilbert?" Diana asks.

"You two have barely talked all day. And who is that woman?" Anne inquires.

I shake my head. "I don't want to talk about it right now. Let's just enjoy the night please. No boy drama." I beg.

"Next up is the Dashing White Sergeant! Form up in sets of six!"

I walk out and wait for a set to form around me. Bash hands Delly off to Matthew and joins me. "Bear with me, Ada. I didn't have time to partake in any of those dance lessons."

I give him a thin-lipped smile. "It's alright. I can't promise that I won't stomp on your toes."

Gilbert, Winifred, and her parents join us, making me frown. The music starts before I can escape. "All join hands and circle left." I grab Bash's hand, and Gilbert grabs mine, and we follow the instructions.

I try to keep my gaze elsewhere, but it falls on him. It always does, which is going to make this evening even more unbearable.

As the dance progresses, Gilbert's eyes lock onto mine, and despite Winifred being his dance partner, he maneuvers us closer. With every twirl and spin, his attention remains on me, deliberately avoiding Winifred. As if to convince me of something.

I feel the heat rise in my cheeks as the intentional closeness unsettles me. I try to maintain composure, but Gilbert's persistent gaze erodes my defenses, and the chemistry between us ignites like the spark of a forgotten flame.

The final chords of the Dashing White Sergeant fade away, and I seize the opportunity to step back, intending to retreat from the dance floor. However, just as I attempt to walk away, Gilbert's firm grip on my arm brings me to a halt. I turn to face him, my expression a mix of frustration and confusion.

"What's your problem, Gilbert?" I inquire, my voice a blend of irritation and curiosity. The barn buzzes with the sounds of laughter and chatter, but our corner feels like an isolated bubble, where our unresolved tensions linger.

He remains silent, his eyes searching mine as if grappling with words that refuse to surface. The unspoken tension between us tightens, and the air becomes heavy with the weight of unaddressed emotions. I wait for an answer, but none comes.

"What are you trying to achieve?" I press, my patience waning. "Why intentionally make things complicated, Gilbert?" I question, my voice softer, a hint of hurt seeping through.

His silence persists, and I feel a mixture of frustration and vulnerability. The barn's lively atmosphere contrasts sharply with the quiet storm brewing between us. Winifred is momentarily forgotten as the world narrows down to just Gilbert and me.

He lingers for a moment, his gaze lingering on mine before finally releasing me. My skin burns from his touch. The barn's clamor returns, but the unresolved questions between us linger, casting a shadow over the festivities. I retreat from the dance floor.