LX

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Revelation. A noun. Meaning, a surprising and previously unknown fact, especially one that is made known in a dramatic way.
_________________________

"Ada." I'm pulled out of my trance by Alexander.

We are at our favorite Parisian café, Le Petit Chéri Café, having brunch. I've been in Paris for about two days and it hasn't been easy. All I can think about is Gilbert and Winifred. How she is getting everything I have ever wanted. I have to keep myself busy just to keep my mind off of it. So I bring my eyes up to look at Alexander. His dark eyes search me as he tries to read my mind.

"You zoned out again." He states.

I force a yawn and turn back to my croissant. I always get a plain buttered one, I don't like the taste of sweet bread like my brother, who got a chocolate one. "I'm still adjusting to the time change."

"Sure," he drawls, skeptical. "So, how was the Ringgold Manor?"

"Calling it a 'manor' is generous," I scoff. "The exterior is breathtaking, but the interior? It's a disaster waiting to happen."

"And what about The Tavern of Montmartre?"

"Too... tavern-like," I cringe.

"How many places have you visited since arriving?" Alexander's fork clinks against his plate as he abruptly sets it down.

"I've lost count," I admit with a sigh. "But none of them feel right."

"None of them? This is getting ridiculous," he huffs, crossing his arms.

"They lack that certain charm, that warmth," I bite my finger nervously. "They just don't feel like-"

"Avonlea?" He finishes my sentence, his disapproval evident. I gulp as he fixes me with a stern look. "Why did you come here, Ada? What are you running from this time?"

"I'm not running," I retort, meeting his gaze firmly.

He shakes his head, trying to decipher my thoughts. "Then what are you doing?"

"I... I don't know," the words catch in my throat. "I thought maybe I could find clarity here, away from Avonlea and all the confusion. I thought I could start over, but instead, I just feel lost."

Alexander's expression softens, and he reaches across the table to squeeze my hand. "Ada, whatever it is, you don't have to face it alone."

Tears threaten to spill as his words sink in. "I know," I whisper, feeling the weight of his concern. "But some things... Some things I need to figure out on my own."

He nods understandingly, offering me a reassuring smile. "Just promise me you won't shut us out again. We're here for you, Ada, no matter what."

I manage a weak smile in return, grateful for his unwavering support. "I promise."

As we finish our lunch in silence, I reach for my purse and start digging for my wallet. I pause when I feel an unfamiliar envelope tucked inside. Curious, I pull it out to find a letter from—Gilbert.