LXIII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Freedom of speech. A noun. Meaning, the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
_________________________

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about going back to school. My departure was quite sudden, without even saying goodbye to anyone. Bash tried to reassure me by mentioning Anne's recent troubles, which oddly enough provided some solace. Hopefully, the focus will shift away from me because of it.

"Are you okay?" Gilbert nudges my shoulder gently as we make our way to the schoolhouse. "You've been lost in your thoughts all morning."

"It's nothing, really." I reply with a shrug.

Gilbert notices my hesitation and offers a reassuring smile. "You know, it's okay to feel nervous."

"I know but..." I take in a deep breath. "I want this Billy and Josie stuff to be over. It brings too much torment to my mind."

Feeling a surge of empathy, Gilbert gently pulls me towards him and plants a comforting kiss on the top of my head. His gesture sends a wave of warmth through me, easing the knots of tension in my stomach.

"I understand," he murmurs softly. "We'll face it together, alright? You're not alone."

As Gilbert and I step into the schoolhouse, the usual lively hum of chatter is conspicuously subdued. The familiar faces of our classmates welcome us, yet their typical exuberance is tempered by an aura of expectancy. Gilbert gallantly removes my coat and offers to hang it up, his gesture infused with an air of chivalry.

I settle beside Diana and survey the room. "Why does everyone seem so off today?"

"It's good to see you're back," Diana replies with a hint of amusement. "Are you planning on staying for good this time?"

"That's the plan," I affirm with a smile. Gilbert leans casually against my desk, his expression teasing. Diana's eyes widen, and a mischievous smile dances across her lips. "I'll fill you in later."

Miss Stacy, our cherished teacher, stands at the front of the room with a solemn countenance, her usual warmth replaced by gravity.

"Good morning, everyone," she begins, her tone tinged with seriousness. "Please, find your seats or remain standing—whichever you prefer."

As we settle in, a hushed silence descends, broken only by the soft rustle of papers and the creak of wooden chairs. The tension hangs thick in the air, and I exchange a concerned glance with Diana, silently preparing ourselves for the impending news.

"First and foremost, it's delightful to have you back, Ada," Miss Stacy acknowledges with a warm smile, though I urge her to continue. "I wish I had better news." She proceeds to explain the new regulations imposed on the Avonlea Gazette since Anne's recent... story. "I believe our best course of action is to adhere to their guidelines for the time being, and perhaps, in the future, they may reconsider."

"No one's forcing them to read the paper," Gilbert asserts, and a chorus of agreements fills the room. "What are the new rules, anyway?" Miss Stacy regretfully hands over the paper. As Gilbert reads over the rules, he lets out a scoff. "The weather, hat fashions, farm stories, but no references to animal husbandry," he recites incredulously. I can't help but chuckle.

"It's good they fired her," Moody declares.

Diana's head snaps in his direction as she inquires, "What did you say?"

"If Anne were here, she'd just say: 'Use your imaginations!' And then find some way to ruin what's left of the newspaper for the rest of us."

"Please, it was ruined before Anne's column," I interject with a scoff.