LXIV

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Metanoia. A noun meaning, the journey of changing one's mind, heart, self, or way of life.
_________________________

As the morning light streamed through the windows of my bedroom, casting a warm glow over the room, I found myself lost in thought, contemplating the day ahead after yesterday's devastating loss.

We were shocked to find our schoolhouse burned down the morning after our event at City Hall. It was a no brainer that it was the men of the board. They stole the printing press and everything.

I wanted to be more upset but I've been too focused on other things. Aunt Jo wrote me a few days ago letting me know that she will be visiting the Barry's today and she wanted to meet with me. I haven't seen her since I decided to leave—again. I know she knows. She always finds out. I feel like she has always known what I am planning to do before I even get a chance to do it.

I change into a simple white top and blue skirt. I don't care if I am seeing my formal family, I'm not trekking a mile in my Sunday best. I grab a white ribbon and tie my hair back into a ponytail.

As I stepped out of my bedroom and made my way down the hallway, lost in my thoughts, I was startled by the sound of a door swinging open. Before I could react, strong arms enveloped me, pulling me into an unexpected embrace. My heart raced as I found myself face to face with Gilbert, his mischievous grin melting away my initial shock. "Gotcha!" he teased quietly, his eyes dancing with amusement.

I couldn't help but laugh, a mixture of relief and exhilaration coursing through me. "You scared me half to death, Gilbert!" I scolded playfully, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

His grin softened into a tender smile as he gazed into my eyes, his proximity sending a shiver down my spine. Without a word, he leaned in, capturing my lips in a gentle kiss that sent my senses reeling. The warmth of his touch sparking a flurry of emotions within me. As he pulled away, his gaze held mine, a silent acknowledgment passing between us. "Sorry about that," he murmured, his voice low and husky. "I couldn't resist."

I couldn't find the right words to respond, my mind still reeling from the unexpected encounter. "You must be quiet. You'll wake the baby." I whisper.

"I checked, she's already awake." He pecks my lips one more time. As Gilbert released me, I watched him disappear back into his room, a whirlwind of emotions swirling within me. With trembling hands, I continued down the hallway, my thoughts consumed by the lingering sensation of his lips on mine.

I found Bash bustling around the kitchen, preparing for his mother's arrival. The tantalizing aroma of freshly made coffee and sizzling bacon filled the air, coaxing a growl from my stomach.

"Morning, Ada!" Bash greeted cheerfully, his voice infused with excitement. "Hungry? Or did you get a mouthful of Blythe already?"

"Sebastian!" I gasp, hitting him with a wet rag. He jumps back cackling.

"I'm kidding!"

I take a seat at the table as he deftly served up a hearty breakfast. The clatter of dishes and the sizzle of bacon provided a comforting backdrop to our morning routine.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" Bash inquired, his eyes alight with curiosity.

"I'm heading over to the train station to visit Aunt Jo and then I reckon I'm going to the Barry's to check on Diana," I replied, spearing a piece of bacon with my fork. "She's been disappearing a lot here lately."