LXV

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Exam. A noun. Meaning, an examination, as in school.
_________________________

The next morning Gilbert and the rest of my classmates were taking their Queens Entrance Exams. I already know Gilbert is going to pass, he is the smartest man I know. But I also know that he is still super nervous.

Determined to ease his nerves, I wrote a heartfelt note, expressing my unwavering belief in his abilities and my confidence that he would excel in the exams.

I headed for his bedroom and knocked softly on the door.

"Come in!" He called. As I entered I found him at his desk, skimming through his notes one last time. "Good morning, darling." He sighs as he jots something down. "How are you feeling this morning? Did you rest well?"

"Good morning." I smile, rocking back and forth on my heels. "I feel well rested." He mumbles in response. I approached him with the note in hand. "Gilbert," I said, having him turn to me. "I know you're feeling anxious about the exams, so I thought this might help."

He looked at me with a mixture of surprise and gratitude as he accepted the note and pulled me into his lap. "Ada, you didn't have to do this," he said, his voice softening.

"I wanted to," I replied, smiling. "You've worked so hard for this, Gilbert. I have every confidence that you'll do brilliantly." He started to peel the envelope back but I stop him. "Don't open it until right before your test."

His expression softened, and he reached out to squeeze my hand. "Thank you, Ada," he said sincerely. "This means a lot to me." Gilbert's eyes sparkled with appreciation as he held the note in his hands, his fingers tracing the edges of the envelope. I could see a hint of anticipation in his gaze, and I felt a rush of satisfaction knowing that my gesture had touched him.

As he tucked the note into his pocket, I leaned in and pressed a tender kiss to his cheek, a silent reassurance of my support and belief in him. He smiled up at me, his expression filled with gratitude and affection.

With a final squeeze of his hand, I stood up and made my way to the door and down the hall for breakfast. He trailed behind me.

I got home awfully late last night. I didn't get the chance to meet Sebastian's mother. He tells me she can be unbearable at times but I'm going to go in with high expectations anyway. I find her in the kitchen cooking breakfast. I like her already.

"Good morning." I smile cheerfully making her turn to face me. "You must be Bash's mother, Hazel." I approach her and extend a hand. "I'm Ada."

"It's lovely to meet you." She smiles, shaking my hand.

"Good morning." Gilbert chimes in. He takes in a deep breathe and lets out a throaty groan. "Oh, it smells wonderful in here!"

"Thank you, sir." Hazel nods as Gilbert and I take a seat. "I wasn't sure where you sit. Does it look alright?" She asks, I look around the table and take in everything.

"Looks fine to me. But then again we're not too hard to please." I shrug before linking an arm with Gilbert.

"Would you like anything else, Mr. Blythe?" Hazel inquires.