XVII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Farewell. An exclamation. A meaning used to express good wishes on parting..
_________________________

The cold wind swept through Charlottetown as we stood at the bustling dock, surrounded by crates and the melancholy calls of seagulls. Father and Alexander prepared to board the steamboat that would carry them across the Atlantic to Paris. Aunt Josephine and I accompanied them to say our goodbyes.

"I don't know when we will be able to visit next." Father starts. "I wish we didn't have to miss your birthday."

"It's just a birthday. I have one every year." I insist.

"We have to get everything sorted out with the banks before we can travel again." Father adds.

"Don't stress yourself out about it." I assure him. "We will all write to each other. We can make this work."

Father sighs as he walks up to me. "I believe I was wrong about you Ada. You're more grown up than I thought you were." He pulls my head into his chest, embracing me. "I will miss my little girl."

"I can assure you, Simon, she will be just fine here." Aunt Josephine places an arm around me and father and I part.

"I trust you, Jo." Father nods, appreciatively. "Take care of yourselves," his eyes filled with a mix of worry and determination.

"I will, Father. I pray you both have a safe journey," I replied, holding back tears.

Aunt Josephine placed a comforting hand on my brother's shoulder. "Simon, Alexander, you'll be missed. Keep each other safe and come back to us as soon as you can."

Alexander gave me a tight hug, and even though he tried to put on a brave face, I could sense his uncertainty about the unknown journey. "Don't worry about us, Ada. We'll be fine."

I smiled, attempting to reassure him. "Take care of Father, but don't forget to take care of yourself too, Alexander." I remember the gift I had for him and quickly grab it from my bag. "Here is a list of your favorite recipes of mine. I know that you two will struggle in the cooking area." I giggle.

They both snicker and nod in agreement.

We bid our loved ones goodbye. As they started to board, I felt a lump in my throat. This departure marked a significant change, and the weight of their absence settled heavily on my shoulders. The steamboat's whistle echoed through the air, signaling the imminent departure.

"Goodbye, Father. Goodbye, Alexander. Bon voyage," I called out, my voice quivering.

My father waved, a mixture of sadness and determination in his eyes. "Goodbye, Ada. We'll write to you as soon as we arrive in Paris. We love you."

Aunt Josephine and I watched as the steamboat slowly pulled away from the dock, carrying my father and brother across the vast ocean. The cold wind seemed to cut through me as I clung to Aunt Josephine, the reality of their departure sinking in.

"They'll be alright, Ada," Aunt Josephine assured, her voice steady but warm.

I nodded, though my heart felt heavy. "I know. It's just... everything's changing so quickly. I don't quite know how to take it all."

She embraced me, offering a comforting hug. "Change is a part of life, my dear. We'll face it together. Now, let's head back home. I'm sure there's much to do and plan for the days ahead."

As we turned away from the departing steamboat, I cast one last glance at the receding figures of my father and brother. The horizon stretched infinitely before them, and the unknown journey awaited.