LII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Medicine. A noun. Meaning, any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness; medicament; remedy.
_________________________

Laughter ripples through the woods as we continue our hike. Miss Stacy is leading us on our informative walk. "Everything you see around you is entangled in a kind of symbiotic dance, and the uniqueness of each participant enables the forest to thrive."

Diana nudges me. "How are you doing? I know the last few weeks have been difficult."

"We are making it work. I've just been trying to help as much as I can. Marilla and Rachel have been a big help with Delly." I carefully step over a large root. "We're all still grieving, but the days get easier."

"I can't imagine what Bash is going through. Can you imagine the mental turmoil?" Diana shakes her head.

I sigh. "It almost makes you not want to marry. I'd hate to think of losing-" I feel a sudden jolt as my foot catches on a protruding root. I fly into Gilbert's back, almost knocking him down.

His hands reach around and grab my arms. "Whoa there, Ada! Watch your step," he teases with a playful grin.

Chuckling, I acknowledge his assistance. "Thanks, Gilbert."

With a light-hearted chuckle, he continues walking ahead, and I catch Diana's mischievous look. "Gilbert to the rescue! Once again," she teases, a glint of amusement in her eyes. "Quite the gallant hero, isn't he?"

Blushing, I playfully roll my eyes. "Oh, stop it, Diana. It was just a little stumble."

"Oh don't be so modest." Josie Pye starts. "You should really stop throwing yourself at him, Ada."

I shoot a glance at Josie, raising an eyebrow. "Throwing myself at him? Please."

She smirks, her tone dripping with venom. "Well, it's just highly unladylike, that's all I'm saying."

I can't resist a retort. "Coming from the girl who's been eyeing Billy Andrews, I'd say we both have our own approaches to 'ladylike' behavior."

Josie's nostrils flare. "Well, Ada, not everyone can be as indifferent as you pretend to be. Maybe if you cared a bit more, you'd have Gilbert's full attention." What's that supposed to mean? Rolling my eyes again, I keep walking forward, "You're just upset that Gilbert hasn't taken notice of you yet."

My laughter rings through the clearing. "I don't need a 'take notice' board to know my worth, Josie."

Diana, caught in the middle of our banter, tries to diffuse the tension with a chuckle. "Alright, ladies, let's not turn this beautiful day into a battlefield."

But Josie can't resist one more jab. "Maybe if you were a bit more assertive, Ada, you wouldn't have to stumble into Gilbert's arms for attention."

"Stumbling or not, she's got it." My eyes widen as Gilbert speaks up. Diana chuckles as she looks to me. I cross my arms and walk ahead of everyone towards Miss Stacy.

"This kind of intelligence is not just limited to trees. We see it across all of nature, even with the birds and the bees." The boys snicker at her words. I roll my eyes and she continues, "The bee collects pollen and nectar to feed the hive and create honey. The flower receives pollen, which it needs to bear fruit."