LXII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Nirvana. A noun. Meaning, a state of perfect happiness, harmony and freedom.
_________________________

"Do you think we have missed much?" I inquire as we ride down the familiar road home.

"I couldn't care less if we did." Gilbert wraps his free arm around me and kisses my temple.

I sigh in contentment. "Me too. But I am concerned for Josie. The people of Avonlea don't know how to handle situations like her's."

"Is that why you kept quiet for so long?" He asks.

"That is one of the reasons, yes." I stare down at my hands. "But I truly feared that people wouldn't believe me."

"I hate that you felt that way. But I hate the fact that you are right even more." Gilbert's grip tightens on me, in a protective manner.

"I reckon they expect me to apologize to Billy Andrews?" I suggest.

Gilbert grits his teeth, "I reckon you should punch him in the face again." He answers smugly making me laugh.

I chuckle at Gilbert's suggestion, imagining the look on Billy Andrews' face if I were to take another swing at him. "As tempting as that sounds," I reply with a grin, "I think I'll stick to a verbal apology this time."

"Suit yourself," Gilbert says with a shrug, his lips quirking into a smirk.

I lean into his side, feeling the warmth of his presence comforting me. As we near our destination, I can't help but feel a sense of anticipation building within me. I can't wait to see Bash, to hold Delly, to just be happy, to be with Gilbert.

As we step through the door of our home, the familiar sights and sounds surround us, enveloping us in a sense of comfort and belonging. Before I can even take another step, Bash's voice rings out from the kitchen table.

"Back so soon?" he teases, his tone laced with amusement.

I turn to see him lounging on the couch, a playful grin on his face. "Hey, Bash," I reply, unable to suppress a smile at his teasing.

Gilbert chuckles beside me, giving me a knowing look. "Seems like we can't catch a break," he quips, his eyes dancing with mirth.

Ignoring his comment, I walk over to Bash and give him a playful shove. "You missed me, didn't you?" I tease back, a hint of laughter in my voice.

Bash rolls his eyes exaggeratedly, but I can see the fondness in his expression. "Of course," he says with mock seriousness. "Who else is going to keep Delly entertained?"

I laugh, feeling a sense of warmth and gratitude wash over me. "Where is that little booger?"

"Napping. But please, feel free to awaken the beast." I motions on down the hall. "But I don't want to hear it later when she is all whiney."

I chuckle at Bash's response, knowing all too well how unpredictable Delly can be when she's awakened from her nap. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to handle her with care," I assure him, a mischievous glint in my eyes.