VII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~

Menstruation. A noun meaning the periodic discharge of blood and mucosal tissue from the uterus, occurring approximately monthly from puberty to menopause in nonpregnant women and females of other primate species. Or easily described as God's curse upon women.

Thanks a lot, Eve.
_________________________

"Shhh. Not so loud." The girls whispered as we ate lunch.

"I got mine three months ago and I feel extremely mature." Josie Pye notes proudly.

I do wish we were discussing something else today. Especially since I brought strawberry jam for my biscuits. I now have no appetite.

What started all of this was Anne announcing that she started her first cycle today.

"You seem mature." Diana says.

"You do." The girls nod in agreement.

"I think the boys take me more seriously, too." Josie adds.

"But they can't tell." Anne says nervously. "Can they can tell? That would be awful." She asks.

"Not tell per se." Josie starts. "But I'm not a little girl anymore, and I believe that's noticeable." She smirks proudly before revealing, "My bosoms are growing."

"Yet another reason why this is inexplicable." Anne grimaces as she examines her own chest.

"I got mine last year." Diana says.

Tillie nods. "Me, too."

"Really?" Ruby asks nervously.

"My father has started opening the door for me. It's sweet." Diana smiles.

"I started mine two years ago and the only difference is that my brother asks if I want to go to the beach and attract sharks." I admit making them all gasp.

"Anyways— I can't wait until I can wear my hair up." Josie smiles.

Ruby sniffles making me look to her. "Ruby, what's wrong?"

"I'm not a woman! Why don't I have it?!"

"Trust me, if I could give you mine, I would." Anne groans. "This is so inconvenient!"

"Hush, Anne! Keep your voice down." The girls scold her.

"No one's supposed to know. A woman's cycle is a shameful thing." Tillie declares.

"Why?" She asks.

"It's "unmentionable", that's why." Diana says.

"That's not a reason."

"Why don't you ever understand anything?" Josie snaps.

"Marilla said it's God's plan, so doesn't that make it good? I mean, we can make a whole person. Where's the shame in that?" Anne smiles as she looks down at her stomach.

"Am I the only one who thinks she's out of her mind?"

"She isn't." I declare. "Because it is a wonderful thing. If you find shame in it then you are deluded just like your mothers."

"You're just angry because your's wasn't here to help you." Josie remarks making my blood boil. "Wasn't it Mrs. Barry that had to help you change your sheets?"

"I suggest you watch your mouth, Josie Pye. My mother wasn't able to teach me much but she did teach me how to take out someone's eye with a needle." I seethe making her back off for the remainder of lunch.

***

"Which districts comprise the Prairies?" Mr. Phillips asks. "Gilbert."

Chills run down my spine when I hear his name. Gosh this is crazy. The effect he has on me that is. I haven't spoken to him yet. He arrived to school late. I'm sure it had to do with his father.

He stands from his seat. "Um... the districts of Athabasca, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Assiniboia."

"He's so smart." Ruby whispers.

"Now that is a clever student." Mr. Phillips declares loudly. "Anne. Which provinces comprise the Atlantic Maritimes?"

She very hesitantly stands from her desk. She is petrified after the conversations at lunch. "I'm sorry, what was the question?"

"Could you not hear me?" Mr. Phillips snaps. "Was I not speaking loudly enough?"

"I'm sorry, I just..."

"The Atlantic Maritimes! Sometime today." He makes me want to bash my head in.

***

"Worst. Day. Ever." Anne huffs as we grab our belongings at the end of the day.

"Nice boys never say people eat insects." Gilbert says from behind us.

"I beg your pardon?" Anne turns to him. I stay facing the wall.

"It's a mnemonic device. It helps you remember things. That's, uh, the Maritimes: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI. Nice boys—"

"Diana, could you please tell Gilbert Blythe that I don't need his help?" Anne snaps.

"Why don't you just tell me yourself? I'm right here." He points out.

"I suppose I just did." She huffs. My goodness she doesn't like him.

"Mnemonics is spelled with an M. Not that you need my help or anything." I can practically hear his smirk. "Have a good weekend." He says before stepping out of the building. I follow behind shortly after.