XXXVI

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Runaway Bride. A noun. Meaning, a bride-to-be who runs away from a wedding shortly before the ceremony, often due to so-called cold feet.
_________________________

The air is charged with a mix of excitement and anticipation as Gilbert and I prepare for Prissy Andrews and Mr. Phillips' wedding. I stand before the mirror, adjusting the delicate lace collar of my blue dress, feeling a flutter of nerves and joy. The sunlight spills into the room, casting a warm glow.

Gilbert, dressed in a crisp suit, appears behind me. "Wow. You look— wow," he remarks, his eyes capturing mine in the reflection. His genuine compliment brings a smile to my lips, dispelling any lingering nerves.

"Thank you," I reply, a soft blush gracing my cheeks. "You don't look too shabby yourself."

He chuckles, adjusting his tie with a playful grin. "Well, we can't let the bride and groom steal all the attention, can we?"

"Certainly not." I laugh. "Ready to go?"

"Certainly." He heads for the kitchen and I follow. "You sure you'll be fine here all by yourself, Bash?"

"I do it every day. What makes today so special?" Bash asks as he eats his food.

"It's your first day without, Mary. However will you go on?" I tease.

"I can manage. Go on now you two. Be on your way." He shoos us off and we settle ourselves into the carriage and head for the church.

I lean back against the cushioned seat, gazing out at the picturesque landscape. "I have a question. Do girls actually start planning their wedding when they are young? I heard Billy complaining about it and I was just curious."

"Of course we do." I laugh.

"Interesting. You know, Ada, I've never really thought about my dream wedding. It seems like something more suited for fairy tales." Gilbert shrugs as he guides the horse.

A playful grin tugs at the corners of my lips. "Come on, Gilbert, everyone has some idea of what their dream wedding might look like. Any preferences or must-haves?"

He chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, I suppose if I were to dream, it would be a simple affair, surrounded by nature. Maybe under a canopy of trees with flowers in bloom."

"That sounds lovely," I remark, letting the image paint itself in my mind. "What about the music? Do you envision a lively dance or a more intimate gathering?"

Gilbert taps his fingers against his knee, contemplating. "Maybe a bit of both. A joyful dance to celebrate the union, followed by a quiet moment under the stars."

As the carriage continues its journey, I join in the daydream. "And the dress? Have you pictured what your bride might wear?"

His gaze meets mine, a hint of playfulness in his eyes. "Well, I imagine something elegant but not overly extravagant. A dress that reflects her personality and makes her feel like the most beautiful girl in the world."

I nod in agreement. "That's a thoughtful choice. Sounds like you have been planning your wedding."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "What about you, Ada? Any dreams of your own wedding?"