Chapter 40

Even alone in the woods, Bucky was happy. He wanted Gwen to have time in wolf form in the woods. She deserved a break and to run on four paws and just... be free for awhile. He could stay and tend the fire and entertain himself while she was gone. He was just glad she was happy. He trusted her to be able to care for herself in the woods, though he kept his ears perked for the sound of a wolf in distress. He would run to her aid if she needed him.

It was a long time before Gwen returned to the camp. Bucky was starting to get worried, but he relaxed when he realized that she was carrying a wolf pup by the scruff of its neck. There were other wolves with her too. She'd brought her friends to visit him. She placed the tiny wolf pup in Bucky's lap and the little thing wagged its tail adorably. He was in awe. "But if it has my scent, won't it be abandoned? Something I saw on TV, I think," Bucky said worriedly, even as he was petting the puppy.

She shook her head and nuzzled the little wolf pup. She'd make sure it wasn't rejected, though that was an urban legend anyway. She licked the pup and licked Bucky. It was rare for her to lick him. She tended to keep her teeth very far away from him just in case. He was glad she was relaxed enough to be that comfortable around him.

Bucky sighed, longing in his eyes. "I wish we could have one. But only if it were allowed. And probably not yet at the compound."

Gwen whined softly and licked the little puppy. She'd love to have one around the tower too, but they couldn't have one yet. Not a puppy or a baby, not that they were nearly ready for babies.

The other wolves came over to investigate Gwen's mate, sniffing and licking him and wagging their tails like happy puppies. That made Bucky laugh and had he been less manly, Gwen would have sworn he was giggling. "They're tickling me!" He managed to get out through laughter. He was knocked onto his back and soon had a pile of wolves on him.

Gwen barked a laugh and licked his cheek. He seemed pleased that she brought her wolf friends to see him. "I was called the white wolf in Wakanda. To match the black Panther king." Bucky explained to her. She tilted her head curiously. He'd have to tell her that story later. She was definitely curious about it. He laughed, "I see you're curious. Maybe you can come with me next time I visit."

Bucky spent the next couple of hours with the wolves, with hope they would show him their den the next day. He wondered idly if he had children with Gwen, would they be werewolves, human, or half and half. What qualities would they have of either species? Or would he be sterile due to the serum? So many questions and thoughts to ponder on.

The wolves left after a couple of hours to return to their den and Gwen changed back human, slipping her clothes back on when she was back in human form. "Have fun with the wolves?" she asked him as she resumed her seat next to him

"It was so much fun. Most fun I've had with anyone besides you or Steve."

Her tail wagged happily and she purred. "Wanna see their den tomorrow? It's within hiking distance. At least I assume it is on two feet as well as four,"

He was delighted. "Yes! We're going hiking anyway, now we have a destination. And I can share some of the jerky? It's like edible rawhide."

She nodded and gave him a brilliant smile. "They'd like that. They've got an older pup who's teething and he'd adore it," she told him warmly. "

That's great. I'll make more now!" He set up a few more racks. "Are you hungry again?"

She nodded sheepishly. "Changing forms takes energy," she reminded him

He could tell. "I'm not surprised. I cooked more for you. Medium might be more to your liking." He gave her a plate with two chunks of venison and some dinner rolls.

She took the plate gratefully and devoured the food he offered her. Bucky thought she was sexy, even if a little messy. He leaned towards her. Licking the corner of her mouth. "You had some butter on your face."

She giggled at his lick. "Sorry, I changed forms a lot today," she reminded him. Her table manners were less than the best when she was this starved

He chuckled. "Don't be sorry. It's just us. Just don't stink for days, unless it's cause of a mission."

She giggled. "Not gonna happen. I like being clean. And you know how I am about my tail." She pet the tail in question, smoothing out the soft fur.

"I know, just pointing out my criteria." He smirked and pet her tail, making her close her eyes and purr.

She turned and kissed him "I love you," she told him warmly

"I love you too, my Gwenie." He leaned in and kissed her nose. She really was adorable and he really did love her. He could imagine spending the rest of his life with her. This camping trip was just proving that more to him.