Chapter 20

Their rest was interrupted the next morning by the alarm going off in the tower, reminding them all that there was a briefing about an upcoming mission. Gwen jolted awake at the alarm, looking around confused. Bucky chuckled and pulled her close, kissing her cheek. "Get used to it, doll. It's a calling to meet in a debriefing room," he reassured her.

"Me too?" She asked softly, surprised that they would be calling her into this meeting. She was so new to the team.

Bucky kissed her neck. "Yes, you too," he purred against her skin. It took all of his willpower to let her go, knowing that she needed to get up and get dressed for the meeting.

Gwen nodded and reluctantly climbed out of his bed. All she wanted was to cuddle up with him. Or more than just cuddle. She grabbed one of his shirts to throw over her head before she rushed across the hall to get her own clothes to wear to the meeting. Bucky smiled, loving the sight of her in nothing but his shirt. He might have to buy more shirts. Or let her have the ones that were too tight on him... Maybe it was a good thing Steve kept buying him shirts that were too small. She should also have at least a change of clothes in his room if she was going to sleep there on occasion. Bucky really liked the idea of her having things in his room.

He picked up the dress, heels, and lacy underwear after he climbed out of bed and had dressed. He meandered across the hall and knocked on her door. He smired when she opened the door in her jeans and curve hugging tank top, clearly still in the process of getting dressed.

God, he wanted her again.

He handed her the folded dress and the heels. She took them with a smile and thanks "I thought to fold up the dress and to hand these back."

He dangled the underwear from one of his fingers, teasing her.

She blushed a deep red and reached up for them. "James!" she protested as she tried to get her underwear back. He chuckled and handed them to her, enjoying how flustered she'd gotten, but not wanting to really upset her. "Thanks," she murmured.

"You're very welcome, Gwenie." Until she told him to quit calling her that, when alone, he would continue to. And he knew she wouldn't tell him to stop. He enjoyed calling her that so she wouldn't deny him. When they were alone.

Gwen turned and set her dress on her bed and grabbed the shirt there, throwing it over her head, tying her hair back as she walked to the door to head down to the meeting with him, her feet bare as usual. Bucky appreciated her appearance, but finally said something about her shoes. "Sweetheart, in the future, you should wear shoes to meetings at least. If you're ever drafted to a mission, you'll be more ready to go."

She raised an eyebrow "I thought everyone was against me going on missions,"

"That's because you weren't officially indicted. Now you are," Bucky explained with a shrug. She'd been accepted as part of the team.

She huffed and slipped her shoes on. "Happy?" She grumbled, looking adorably grumpy. She hated shoes, poor thing.

Bucky, however, wasn't used to her attitude and held his hands up in surrender. "Woah. I said in the future. Why are you snapping at me?"

She squeaked and curled in on herself, cowering under his sharp tone. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean-" she said with a puppy like whine.

"You do have a smartass attitude. Luckily I'm not the punishing kind." He winked, misreading her body language. He had thought he could joke his way out of it. He was wrong.

She whimpered softly, wrapping her arms around herself, her tail curled around.

He had only been teasing her. He didn't realize his words would hurt her so much. "Hey, little one. I'm not going to hurt you. I kinda like that you have some attitude under all that soft and warmth," he reassured her gently.

Gwen nodded, but didn't relax, cuddling her tail as she did when she was upset "We should go..." she said softly instead, still afraid.

Bucky had screwed up. He knew it. He saw it in her eyes, in her fear. And he hated himself for scaring her. Gwne was nervous and scared. He said he wasn't the punishing kind, someone here was? Would he change his mind?

They made their way down to the meeting and Bucky sat next to her, and kept stealing glances at her, wanting to cheer her up. He saw her trying to pay attention and equally saw how shaken she was.

Bucky approached her slowly after the meeting was ofer and they were allowed to leave. "Gwen?" he asked her gently, getting her attention. "I swear I was just trying to make a bad joke earlier. Some people like it rough, men and women. They use safe words to be careful, to not go too far," Bucky tried to explain it to her, but thought he was making things worse.

She looked so small and scared. "But punishing?" She asked with wide terrified eyes

"There are some who enjoy the pain. Not me, but some cum from it."

Gwen shook her head vehemently. "No, no pain" she told him firmly, fear and old wounds in her voice.

Bucky wanted nothing more than to hold her, but was afraid she'd run. Her tail wrapped around her and she cuddled it, distressed, and haunted with memories of pain. He moved slowly over to her, as he would approach a scared animal. She looked up at him as he did, but didn't bold. He folded her gently in his arms. "I'm sorry for scaring you. Fuck, I'm an idiot. I've mentioned that before. And ugly idiot."

She giggled and finally started to relax. "You're not an ugly idiot," she replied, laughing a little at their in joke. Bucky was nowhere near ugly. And was one of the hottest men she'd ever laid eyes on.