Chapter 9

One of Loki's illusions was in the elevator when Bucky got stormed on. Loki had noted Bucky's sudden change in mood and his sudden anger with the lady he fancied and he decided he needed to see what was wrong with his friend. "What is the problem, Sergeant?" he asked. He would start this conversation pleasantly, he could always change tactics later.

"What isn't?" Bucky snarled, pacing the elevator and practically radiating anger. "I finally like a woman and she's a rescue. Which is off limits. Then she made a joke of me today!" His voice rose as his temper and anger did.

Loki raised an eyebrow, wondering where all of this came from. The pair had been getting along all day. Loki would know, he'd been checking on them. "The rescue thing can be overcome," he said with a shrug. "She moves in, she's no longer a rescue. Problem solved. But making a joke out of you? I do not see it and jokes are one of my specialties." He hadn't seen her making fun of him. He didn't think she had the capacity to make fun of anyone or anything, not maliciously anyway. She was an omega after all.

Bucky tried to calm down enough to have a reasonable conversation with Loki. It was hard with how pissed he was. "She has been talking to me all day. She never once mentioned her knowledge in the medical field or as a doctor!" Bucky explained, his voice still heated. Loki gave him a look and he sighed heavily. "I'm sorry. I think my mind is just trying to push her away. I'm not lovable. Not in a romantic way."

"You are plenty lovable," Loki replied immediately. He had to nip that nonsense in the bud. "And so what about the medical knowledge? Perhaps it simply did not come up. She is too kindhearted to attempt to hurt anyone. I know this and I have barely met the girl. Perhaps you should give you, and her, a chance," Loki suggested. His friend sometimes needed a swift kick in the ass to get his head on straight.

"So I'm supposed to let her put herself in danger, if she goes on a mission without me?! I don't think I could." Bucky protested, his emotions getting the better of him again. He didn't want the omega in danger.

Loki shrugged, antagonizing little shit that he was. "If you do not wish to try, I can hurry her on her way," he told Bucky innocently. "One word from me that I dislike her and she's gone, for her own safety of course," he could arrange it quickly. There was an understanding that if Loki didn't like someone and that person would be sent out of the tower immediately for their own safety. He had a habit of stabbing first and asking questions later. If the stabee survived. "Perhaps Shield will take in the stray..." he baited Bucky's temper, knowing he would get real answers from his friend if he got him to speak with emotions. Bucky was usually too quiet and didn't say anything at all unless his emotions were brought into it.

Bucky's shock dropped him out of his temper. "What? You just said she's a kind hearted person. Why would you joke about attacking her?" he asked Loki, shocked and concerned that Loki would even joke about hurting the omega.

Loki shrugged, looking nonchalant. "If you want her out of here that badly, if you do not wish to even try to court her, to try for happiness for yourself and her, then I would do the favor for you and get her out of here quickly before she causes more trouble." He made it sound like it would be no big deal to threaten the omega, to get her kicked out of the tower to help his friend.

Bucky finally realized that it wasn't a joke. Loki really would threaten her to help Bucky if that's what his friend needed. "No, that's not necessary," he reassured Loki quickly. He didn't want Gwen hurt. He didn't want her to leave.

"Oh, good," Loki said as if this were news and not exactly what he knew was going to happen. Annoying god. "Then you will stop being an idiot?" he asked pleasantly. Sometimes it was hard to tell why Bucky was friends with the annoying little shit of a god.