Chapter 22

A few days later, Gwen came down to breakfast late. She was dressed haphazardly in baggy clothes that likely weren't actually hers and nothing on her feet, which wasn't atypical. Her cheeks were bright red with fever, her eyes glazed.

Bucky had knocked on her door earlier that morning to offer to walk to breakfasts with her, but had gotten no answer. He'd assumed she'd already left for breakfast, maybe with an early shift in the medbay, but he'd been clearly wrong. He stood from his breakfast and rushed over to her in an instant. "Gwen? What's wrong?"

She looked up at him confused and dazed. "I'm alright," she lied defiantly, insistently. She was clearly lying, clearly fevered and unwell.

Bucky laughed nervously, trying to ease her fear of telling him what was actually wrong. "No babe, you're not. You're walking crooked, over heating, and not looking like yourself," he insisted gently

She mewed softly. "I have a shift in the medbay," she insisted, persisting though she was clearly ill. Hydra would never let her shirk her duties, no matter what day of the month it was or how sick she was. She didn't understand the concept now.

Bucky looked at her sternly. " You're going to the medbay, yes. But you're going as a patient." He informed her in alpha voice and picked her up before she could complain. She squeaked weakly in his arms, but couldn't struggle free if she'd wanted to. Bucky took her to the medbay and laid her in one of the beds before he stepped out into the hall to call for Loki.

"I'm fine," Gwen protested in a weak whimper, but she wasn't strong enough to fight him when he laid her in the bed or get back up from where he'd put her.

Bucky felt safe leaving her for a couple of minutes, long enough to track down Loki if he had to and make him fix Gwen. It was amazing that he trusted the god with such a task.

Loki materialized in front of Bucky a moment later. "What is it, soldier?" He asked, curious as to why he was summoned.

Bucky breathed a sigh of relief that Loki appeared so quickly to help him. He really was a good friend, even if he could be an ass. "I'm convinced that something is wrong with Gwen and I'm guessing it's to do with her wolf nature. Would you have any idea what's wrong?"

Loki looked at the overheated exhausted creature in the bed and rolled his eyes. "It's the day of the full moon," he told Bucky like that was obvious.

Reality dawned on Bucky at Loki's words. He thanked Loki then shooed off the staff. He picked up Gwen and cuddled her against his chest as he carried her to his room. Gwen whimpered, laying her head on Bucky's shoulder as he insisted on carrying her despite her protests that she was fine. Bucky passed by Steve on his way upstairs. "Steve, mark Gwen and I both unavailable for any missions. She's going to turn after sunset. And I'll be with her."

Steve nodded, having expected this. "Of course," he'd already marked Gwen as unavailable after sunset. She hadn't mentioned she couldn't work the morning shift or he would've never scheduled her. "Let us know if you need help." None of them knew what to expect as Gwen hadn't been helpful on that particular point.

Bucky thanked him, then carried her to his room. Rocking her gently in his arms to try to keep her calm. She mewed softly and he could feel the heat radiating off of her as she whimpered in his arms.

"I know you change soon, but you didn't tell me about this happening. What is it, how do I help you?" Bucky asked her, desperate to help, desperate to make her feel better.

"Moon fever," she told him softly. " I'm fine," she tried to insist, sounding distressed. She'd be beaten or worse if she didn't do her duties. Bucky held her tightly so she couldn't squirm out of his arms and tried to make a nest of the blankets for her. He'd read that omega werewolves needed nests of pillows and blankets to be happy. "I have work," she tried again to protest softly, but he'd made her a nest and it looked so inviting and she couldn't take her eyes off it, or stop the wistful whine at it. The sounds she was making broke Bucky's heart. She was in so much pain, exhausted, and fevered. She couldn't fight anymore and curled herself in the nest he'd provided her. He helped to undress her, since she was sweating and clawing at her layers. She seemed to settle when she was down to the skimpy tank top and panties, snuggled in her nest of blankets.