Chapter 2

Werewolves were real.

It was a lot to take in, but it was all fascinating and exciting. Her words didn't concern Bucky, not at all. Hell, he was even more intrigued to know that werewolves were real. Now he just wanted to understand everything and anything he could learn about them.

"Amazing," he told her as he tried to organize his thoughts, tried to figure out what to ask her first. There were so many questions and all of them important. First though, first came helping. "How many puppies survived Hydra?" He wanted to save those children, any of the ones who had been stolen away from their homes like she had been.

She shrugged and looked down. She looked so sad and small. "I don't know. They separated us years ago,"

Bucky frowned; he could only imagine the torture and pain they could have experienced or could still be living through. "There weren't any in your recent group of agents?" he pressed. He'd help rescue her people if he could.

She shook her head again. "I saw a couple a few years ago. It seems that Hydra kept the Alpha males to work for them. They got distracted in my presence, since they kept wanting to save me and protect me instead of focusing on the missions. I haven't seen another werewolf since that mission," she said softly.

"Were the other puppies all males? Perhaps males just like you for being their own kind?" he was trying to speak to her using the words she was using to try to connect with her. "I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I'm just trying to get the big picture, trying to understand."

"Most of them," she admitted. "There are always more males than females. But no, that wasn't the issue. The issue was pack rank. The males they kept, the alphas, they're warriors, the biggest strongest fighters, natural leaders. They protect the rest of the pack. I'm an Omega. My role isn't to fight, but to be the heart of the pack. To offer peace and calm to balance their volatile tempers. But when they sensed that I was in danger, that a precious rare Omega was in danger, they rushed to try to protect me from Hydra. None of our commanding officers were pleased," she shuddered at the memory and Bucky fought not to growl at whatever memories were causing that reaction from her. If he growled, he would scare her. That was the last thing he wanted, so he worked to rein in his temper. It took all of his willpower to manage. She kept talking. "Which only made me cry when they were yelling so much about how I was distracting the men. Which just upset the Alphas more, until the Alphas killed the their commanding officers..." She said softly. He heard it in her voice, even though Hydra was terrible and full of evil people, she still mourned the loss of life.

"Then," Bucky paused. He had to ask, but he wasn't sure he wanted to know. "Then why did Hydra keep you?" He had an idea, but one that sickened him to his core. He prayed that his suspicion wasn't true with every fiber of his being.

If it was...

If it was, he didn't know how she'd ever recover.

She shrugged, looked uncomfortable and curled in on herself. "Why do you think? If you want more highly unkillable super soldiers, the easiest way to get them is to breed the highly unkillable super soldiers you already have," she said softly.

Bucky knew it.

Of course that had been the reason.

He couldn't help the whispered 'fuck' that escaped his lips. He couldn't handle the visual. "Had they... have they already used you for that purpose?" he forced the words out. He had to know. He had to know what she'd been through in order to help her.

She blushed and looked away, unwilling to answer that question.

That wasn't helpful.

He didn't want to press her, but he needed to know. At the very least he needed to know medically to help her. Or to get her the medical help she needed.