Part 12- Need a lift?

MIA

The next morning I lie in bed with my hands over my face reliving every moment of what had gone down the night before. I give out a curse and shake my head, I should have never have let Ethan kiss me. It was always going to end in trouble. I was stupid to think I was special to him and that he'd treat me differently...turns out he was just like the guys he was always warning me about. Worst of all, I couldn't avoid him, he was always around, our paths constantly crossed over, I knew I'd have to face him sooner than later and it made me want to scream with frustration.

Today, Caleb was supposed to be driving me over to Nanna June's house as it was my weekend to visit her and help her with her house work. Our family didn't have a car, we couldn't afford one and to be honest one of the Mavericks usually drove us about when we needed a lift so it was never really an issue...until now.

I call and text Caleb several times hoping he'd come here to pick me up, but he is no doubt still sleeping off his hangover as he's not replying. Groan! I'll have to go over to his house to wake him up!

I dress in some fitted black jeans and a light coral jumper, I then tie my hair in a loose french braid down the side and add some light makeup. It's the best that I can muster in this current mood.

Once more I head to the Mavericks house, my anxiety is through the roof. I'd do anything not to need this lift today, but there's no way I'd let down my Nanna by being a no show. I'm hoping to god not to see Ethan, he's probably still asleep with that slut draped around him anyways. I instantly feel sick at the thought.

But what about Caleb, should I tell him about the kiss? Technically I'd not cheated, but I knew he'd be really pissed and feel betrayed if he'd found out I'd kissed his brother. Shit, this was a nightmare.

When the back door came into view, I took a deep breath and walked into the kitchen. To my horror Ethan and Samuel are both sitting at the kitchen counter eating cereal and talking to each other. Samuel throws me his usual big smile but Ethan jumps up from his seat slightly knocking his bowl in surprise.

"Mia, can we talk?" he says earnestly.

I completely ignored him, keeping my gaze down and hurrying out of the room towards the staircase. "Morning Sammy," was all I could mumble out in response.

I hurry my way up the stairs towards Caleb's bedroom, but hear loud quick footsteps coming up behind me. I turn to see Ethan running up the stairs, two steps at a time to catch up with me. I dash to Caleb's room, but before I can knock Ethan has spun me around and pushes me against the wall. His breathing is staggered and breathless, he looks like he's not slept. I try to look away in disgust, but he turns my face back to his gently and holds it in place. His other arm leans above me. I'm trapped.

"Please listen." he says in a hushed tone. He's not stupid, we're in a dangerous location of being caught here. Caleb could come out his door at any moment and this did not look good with us being so close to each other.

"That girl last night, she meant nothing to me. I didn't know she was coming over. We've hooked up a few times but it's never been anything serious. I made her leave straight after you left. She is not who I want." Ethan gulps hard then continues. "I know how bad this looks OK, I know I'm a fucking hypocrite asking you to avoid certain guys then ..." I cut him off, I don't want to hear anymore.

"It's fine Ethan, you can fuck who ever you want, It's none of my business. We just kissed, it wasn't anything special for me either. I just wanted to get it over with and I guess... you were it. You were good practice for me, so thanks. But I don't need any more explanation from you. So we're done here, right?" I harshly whisper back.

Ethans face is full of hurt, his eyes burn through me and I'm finding it hard to breath with him being so close, "I'm just fucking practice for you? What, so now you're going to go running back to fucking Caleb now i've warmed you up? Is that a joke? You're wrong about me, I'll prove that to you!' He says bitterly.

"It was just a kiss, It was no big deal..." This time I'm cut off.

"You're lying. No one kisses like that and it means nothing to them," Ethan bites back angrily and I can't help but look at his lips before looking back into his eyes. The tension between us is electric. Ethan leans his face closer to mine, our lips are so close now they're practically touching. "Mia please." He whispers huskily.

Caleb's door handle starts to rattle and turn, I push Ethan away abruptly and he stumbles back a few steps. His chest rising and falling as he tries to keep himself calm, his eyes fixing on mine again. Caleb walks out topless, bleary eyed and half asleep, he stinks of vomit and old alcohol. He seems startled when he sees us both in the hallway, so I know he's not overheard anything.

"Hey, what's up? Shit sorry about last night, I didn't mean to get so pissed." He yawns and rubs a hand over his face. "Missed anything good?"

I clear my throat, turning my back to Ethan to give Caleb my full attention. "No it was fine, you missed absolutely nothing!" I hear Ethan snort behind me, but I ignore him and continue. "But I really need you to get dressed. Do you remember you promised to drive me to Nanna Junes this morning? I really need to get over there soon, it's my week to help out and I'm already so late," I pleaded.

"Shit, I'm so sorry Mia. Fuck, I forgot and there's no way I can drive you like this, I'm still well over the limit," he says guiltily. I let out a big sigh, cursing under my breath. This was a real problem, I really can't cancel.

"No problem, I can take her," Ethan says from behind me. I turn to look at him to see that his walls are backup and his arrogant bravado is back. He gives me a big smirk and I shoot him a dirty look that only makes his smirk bigger.

"I don't think, I'm not sure..." I try to form a sentence but come up with nothing, Ethan arches an eyebrow at me. He knows I'm stuck and I need him. Internally I do a massive groan.

"Ahh thanks man," Caleb pats Ethan on the back. "Sorry Mia, I've gotta go, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hurl, sorry again for being a total tool last night." and with that Caleb disappears back into his bedroom banging the door shut.

I side glance over to Ethan who has his arms folded with a massive grin on his face. "What, no thank you for the lift?"

"What are you doing?" I question.

"Just being a good neighbour," he smirks. "Right, I'll meet you by my car in 5 minutes, I just need to change." He starts to walk off before turning to me. "Oh and Mia, you are really fucking sexy when you're mad at me."

My eyes go wide and my mouth drops, which just makes Ethan chuckle. He's delighted that he's just gotten a reaction out of me, before heading off to his room leaving me feeling hot and flustered.