The Treehouse - Prologue

I brushed my fingertips over the cracked paint, smiling to myself how much I loved this place even when it was falling apart and leaking; so many good memories happened here. My finger tips glided across the walls that were adorned with my scribbles, doodles and carvings from over the years, some were better than others. It was my canvas where I practiced every form of art when it inspired me from the sea glass light catcher that hung by the window to the large paintings that covered the floor, ceiling and walls. So many adventures had taken place here ...and now it was about to be torn down. The tree was dying and could no longer hold the weight.

With a large sigh, I made myself down the ladder and jumped into the long grass below, taking a final look back briefly at my favourite place for maybe the last time before walking back to the house with a heavy heart.

9 years earlier....

The large Maple that housed the treehouse grew right in the middle of the fencing border of our garden and Montgomery's back garden. The Montgomery's were a middle aged sweet couple; Ira and Rose, they had no children, lots of money and from what I can remember they were the nicest people to ever live in the small town of Westcroft. They owned one of the largest houses in the area, their garden was huge with several large trees and bushes as well as an array of other spectacular flowers and blooms, Ira Montgomery really was a gardening wizard. On the other side of their estate was a private dock that overlooked a lake that stretched for miles.

Next door lived us, the Collins family. There was my sister Phoebe who was 6, Joanie who was 7 and myself Mia and I'm 8. We lived with our mother Laura who'd inherited the house and land four years ago. My dad wasn't around, i'd not seen him since Phoeb's was born and mum won't talk about it anymore.

Even though we lived in the same street as the Montgomerys, our house was nothing in comparison, it was small and run down, with its mixed matched second hand furniture and smoky fireplace. It was, however, home. Every wall was filled with photographs of us, the Collins sisters and the house always smelled of fresh baking. We didn't have a lot of money, but we had everything we needed.

The Montgomerys let us play and explore their garden whenever we liked, they really were the most wonderful people. However last year they had gone out of their way and built a tree house for us in the big Maple that was close to our house. It was truly a work of art that could only be reached by a ladder that unfolded out and was attached to the trunk. The Maples leaves changed to a magnificent vibrant red in fall that made the whole tree look like it was on fire.

Last month however, Ira and Rose had broken their promise to come have a tea party with us, we'd waited for them nearly two hours up in the treehouse after they'd gone to the store to pick up some cupcakes. Sometime later mum told us that the Mongomery's were driving home when their car spun off the road. They never came back home and a for sale sign was put up in front of their grand home shortly after.

My sisters and I vowed to hate whoever the new neighbours were, as that was the Montgomerys home after all and it just felt so wrong for anyone else to live there.