Part 20 - Taking a chance

MIA

Ethan's still holding my hand against his cheek, his eyes searching mine desperately waiting for me to reply...but i'm speechless right now. All this time, all these years he's felt this way. Did he really do all of these things, I need to speak to Caleb to find out the truth.

"Mia?" My sister's cracked voice from outside my bedroom door breaks the spell that Ethan has me under. Joanie knocks on my door loudly now, she's not going anywhere. "Mia, the whole school is talking about us. Will you let me in? You should've told me about you and Ethan!"

Great, I'm the hot gossip of the school now on top! On instinct I pull my hand away from Ethan's face.

Ethan closes his eyes and curses under his breath before pulling away from me. "Can we talk later? Please?" He begs.

"Just give me a bit of time to think...will you...please?" Is all I can say back, my voice is so small and cracked I barely recognise it as my own.

Ethan bites his lip and shoves his hands into his pockets before giving me a reluctant nod. There's yet another knock on the door which makes Ethan give out a huff of irritation. My heart clenches as I see him turn to go and swings the door open.

Joanie is standing with her fist raised as if she's about to knock again, Ethan glares at her in disgust which makes her shrink back a step, she obviously thought he'd already gone. Ethan hurriedly walks past her and down the stairs. The picture frames in the hallway rattle a little from the force of the front door being slammed close behind him. I cross over to my window and watch him stride away down the path back to his house kicking a stone violently in frustration. My heart winces and before I can stop myself I throw open the window.

"Ethan!" I shout out to him. Ethan spins round and takes a few steps forward looking up at me, his chest is rising and falling hard, he's struggling to keep his emotions in check from the looks of his eyes.

I gulp hard and try to form the words that I want to say, but all I can do is stand there with my mouth open like an idiot. Ethan takes another step forward, his eyes begging for me to speak but time seems to stand still and all I can do is stare at him back. Something snaps within Ethan and I see his face change from longing to determination, he marches back towards the house but doesn't enter my front door, instead he climbs the trellis with ease that's attached to the house and pulls himself up onto the small overhang that my window ledge overlooks and leans into my window.

"Mia?" He urgently whispers. This guy has some balls, he's not phased by climbing the side of my house like some action hero or that my sister is probably most certainly standing right behind me watching this drama unfold. His eyes are only on me.

"The ring...it's the most amazing gift I've ever been given." My voice cracks. "Thank you, I truly love it" My voice is barely a whisper. "What you did to get it, it means everything to me."

Ethan leans in from outside and slowly moves a strand of hair from face and tucks it behind my ear, before giving me a gentle smile. "I'm glad you like it" his thumb brushes against my bottom lip sending shivers down my body whilst his other hand is holding onto my window ledge to steady himself from falling.

"I swear to god, last night with Joanie...fuck...it was nothing...she's lucky I didn't throw up on her to be honest."

From behind me I hear my sister scoff and storm out of my room but I really don't care at this moment and by the looks of Ethan neither does he. I know how Joanie is about Ethan, she's been obsessed about him for years. The fact she didn't stand up for herself just then before storming out speaks volumes. If I want whatever this is with Ethan to work I'm going to have to try and trust him...and that's starting with forgiving him for that kiss.

This time it's my turn for my resolve to snap, I grab hold of his shirt and pull him towards me slamming my lips onto his. I can't be away from him any further. He responds immediately and kisses me back frantically, his hand weaving into my hair to pull me closer. The kiss is electrifying and I can't help but mew with pleasure which makes Ethan groan into my mouth. I'm about to pull him inside my bedroom window when someone clears their throat from behind me.

"Ahem." Slowly Ethan and I break our kiss and turn to look at my mum who looks really pissed right now in my doorway.

"I think it's time for you to head off home Ethan." She grits out.

Ethan gives her a small smile and nods before looking back to me. "Talk to you later?" he breathes. If he's embarrassed he's not showing it in fact he can't stop smiling and nor can I.

Skilfully and with ease he makes his way back down the trellis before landing perfectly back onto the grass. A huge grin is spread across his face and eyes are focused on me, he takes a few steps backwards before turning to head back up the path towards his house.

I slowly turn to look at my mum, her hands are on his hips and my smile finally drops.

"Get showered and get ready now, you young lady are going on the pill as of today." She states and my eyes go wide.

"Mum!" I squeal, now I'm fucking embarrassed.

"I mean it, you're not going to get caught like I did. Now get ready." My mum says with finality in her voice. She spins on her heels and slams the door closed as she goes.

I gulp hard, but if I'm honest as mortifying as this all is she might me on to something. There's no way I'm going to be able to keep my hands off Ethan much longer.