Part 4 - Tutor Ethan

ETHAN

I pull my hoodie over my head and check myself over in the mirror for the third, no for the fourth time since I got back from school.

Fuck i'm too hot in this, this ones not right either.

I throw it off and put on a different one that looks practically the same. Fuck it, this one will do or i'm gonna be late. I dunno why i'm feeling so anxious, it's just a study date with a girl i've known for years. I sling over my backpack that's heavy with the books I think she will need over my shoulder and head downstairs. I pass through the kitchen and see Caleb pulling out some orange Juice from the fridge and pouring himself a glass. As soon as he sees me he scowls.

Whats his fucking problem now?

I roll my eyes and walk out of the kitchen's backdoor and start to walk down the long winding path that leads through our estate gardens all the way to the Collins home. I've walked down this path so many times I could do it blindfolded. Sammy passes me on the path and says a quick hi as we head off in our different directions, he's probably just been round to see Phoebe.

I've always been a lot closer to Sammy than Caleb, Sammy actually sees everything that I do around here, how i've tried to keep us as family when our mums 'MIA' at the end of a bottle or dads off fucking god knows who in one of his other homes and not back for months.

My thoughts go back to Caleb and I instantly feel irritated. That kid has constantly got a chip on his shoulder. To think of the amount of times I took a beating from our dad so he'd not get hurt now pisses me off. I've not been just a brother to him, I've had to step up and be a dad to him as well. Our dad might be a successful big time city lawyer but he's a fucking useless father. I've never missed any of Caleb's games, I've helped him with his homework, I've taught him how to swim, to ride a bike and play football, but no matter what I do that kid is a total jerk to me. I'm bored of it. When I graduate and move out to college maybe he'll start to appreciate all I've done for him.

I don't expect much from him, I've never asked him for help, I've never wanted anything he has...

My feet abruptly stop right in front of the Collins house, through their window I can see Mia sitting on the sofa next to Phoebe and they're belly laughing about something from a magazine in Phoebe's hand.

I can't take my eyes off Mia, when she's totally carefree and laughing like this it always makes my heart go a little erratic. I can't help a smile form on my lips mirroring hers. This girl has always messed with my head, ever since I first met her when she threw that fucking stupid pirate hat off and went to punch me. I've been hooked.

I run a hand through my hair and over my face to snap myself out of my thoughts. Mia Collins is off limits, she's Caleb's girlfriend. As much as that kid pisses me off, there's some lines that don't get crossed.

...I may have lied earlier when I said there was nothing of his that I wanted.

I close my eyes for a second to compose myself before I carry on walking up their porch steps. I walk straight into their home without knocking and enter their hallway. I've always loved stepping into their house, the first thing that hits me is the warmth, then straight after that the smell of fresh baking and flowers.

It's home.

I walk down the corridor slowly and gaze at all the photos that cover the walls, I'm on a fair few of them. It's a timeline of our intertwined childhood together celebrating Christmases, birthdays and vacations. Mia's mum catalogued it all. I stop when I see one of just Mia and me, we're at the beach, it was the year we learned to surf and we're both laughing. Mia stood up on her board before me and she had a triumphant look on her face and I'm just staring at her adoringly like a love sick puppy.