Part 15- Sunday Sundaes

MIA

"Caleb seriously, just pick." I moan.

"Shh Collins, this is an important decision," he counters.

We've been sitting in Bob's Ice cream parlour picking our sundaes for at least thirty minutes now and Caleb has re-read the menu several times over. I'm close to screaming at him. The menu hasn't changed since it opened in the 1950's, so watching him is painful, the waitress has been turned away twice already. He'll end up getting the same one that he always gets anyways, he always does!

"OK, OK, I've got it, hey miss?" Caleb beckons over the waitress. "Can I get a double Chocolate whipped sundae with nuts and marshmallows and she'll take a Banana split Sundae with toffee sauce," he orders from behind the menu without looking up from it and I give out a huff in annoyance. Not only did he just order what he always gets, but he didn't even ask me what I wanted and just presumed to know my order. The fact is, it was what I wanted...but he didn't know that!

"Sure thing," says the waitress looking bored and trots off behind the counter.

Caleb finally puts down the menu and gives me a wide smile and I purse my lips.

"What?" He questions.

"Can I not order my own sundae now? What makes you think I wanted a Banana Split? I might have just wanted a...coffee this time. You know it's a bit rude to always presume that you know what I want all of the time," I snap.

Caleb raises his eyebrow at me, "Is this really about me choosing an ice cream for you? Or is something else going on? You've been acting weird recently Collins. What's up?"

I tap my fingers on the table and chew my lip contemplating coming clean about Ethan, about what happened at the party, the kiss...just thinking about that kiss makes me smile until Caleb reaches out and takes my hand which snaps me out of my thoughts.

"I know what this is about," he says quietly and rubs his neck.

My heart starts to race - shit really?

"Look, It's going to be awesome, I promise. I know I should have asked you first, but I thought you'd like the surprise!" Caleb says enthusiastically.

Yeah we are defo not on the same page right now.

"Caleb, I..?" is all I can get to say before Caleb cuts me off.

"But it's fucking San Diego! I mean come on, how can you be mad with me? This is what spring break is all about. If it's the money you are worried about, don't be, my dads got it covered! We're actually doing him a favour as we'd be house sitting for one of his twat faced business mates," he gleams.

Holy fuck!

"What? No way, San Diego! Umm...Caleb...Well shit, I wasn't expecting that!" I say flabbergasted.

Caleb smiles gently at me and it's only now that I realise he's still holding my hand and slowly stroking it.

I gulp and remove my hand. Ethan flashes in my mind and I instantly feel guilty just sitting here right now. "I'm not sure my mums going to go for it, you know with our age and all...".

"Leave your mum to me, I bet I can talk her around," he winks. "Come on Collins, It's about time me and you spent some quality time together, just us. Do you remember when we were younger and we'd spend hours going through that old travel book up at the treehouse, planning where we'd go together. Well this is destination number one." He grins. "One of many I hope," the way he says this last part makes me hitch my breath, his eyes are boring into me waiting for me to say something.

I suddenly feel nervous. For so long I wanted this. Caleb and me, going on adventures together, just us. I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't tempted.

Our Ice cream sundaes are slammed onto the table in front of us making me jump, the waitress waltzes off without saying a word. I guess she was just as annoyed as me waiting for Caleb to make his sundae choices. I pick up my spoon and start to eat, avoiding making eye contact with Caleb, I can tell he's just watching me as he's not done the same.

"Mia?" Caleb whispers.

"Yeah?" I try to say nonchalantly with a mouthful of ice cream.

"You would tell me...If there was someone...someone else you were having feelings for?" Caleb says seriously, making me choke on my banana split. I look at his face and he looks so hurt. I'd let him down not being excited about San Diego.

I clear my throat, it's time to come clean, tell him everything... but I'm a coward. "No, there's no one else," I say and try to reassure him with a small smile.

Ethan flashes into my mind again. Those words have just made me feel sick to my stomach.

"Well thank fuck for that," Caleb says sighing with relief, he picks up his spoon and starts to dig into his sundae as he relaxes, he continues talking between mouthfuls. "I thought I had some competition then," and waggles his eyebrows.

"Competition? Caleb, we're best friends that will never change, but the way you're going on is as if we're engaged or something," I say jokingly on the outside, inside I'm dying right now.

"Come on Mia, we've never been just friends." Caleb says seriously.

"I like how things are between us, I don't want that to change." I say earnestly putting down my spoon.

"Maybe I don't want things to stay the same anymore. Nothing can stay the same forever Collins." He says gently back, his eyes are totally fixed on mine, he's waiting for me to reply again but i'm like a cod opening and closing my mouth looking for the right words. I've never felt so awkward around Caleb before. Our conversations are always light and fun, we're never serious together. Being serious with him just seems wrong.

Just then Joanie, Phoebe and Sammy walk into the Ice cream parlour, yelling loudly across the quiet shop before coming over to join us. I can tell that Caleb wants to talk more, but I pretend to be engrossed in whatever total nonsense Joanie is saying. I can truly say that I've never been so pleased to see my sister in all my life!xx