Part 32 - No more secrets

MIA

As Ethan and I walk down the stairs hand in hand I can't help my breath hitch a little when I finally reach the kitchen and see everyone is already here waiting for us. Both my sisters, both Ethans brothers and both our mums are sitting at the kitchen island, all eyes suddenly snap to us with knowing eyes and smirked faces and I feel my cheeks burn up instantly with embarrassment.

Yeah they definitely all heard us fucking.

Beside me I hear Ethan chuckle, he takes an empty stool before grabbing me round the waist and sitting me on his lap. I give him a scowl over my shoulder to tell him this is not the time to get all handsy in front of all our families, but he just gives me one of his signature smirks back that makes my cheeks burn up. This fucking guy always knows how to make me blush.

Jean clears her throat which brings my attention to our families who are all trying not to laugh at our antics apart from Joanie who sits crossed armed and glum at the end of the table. My mum shakes her head before sliding a plate of pancakes over to Ethan and I to share which we gladly accept.

"Well, it's nice of you both to finally join us for breakfast," my mum says with a disapproving tone, but when I dare to glance up to her eyes I can see she is trying to hold back a smile also.

"Well now that you're here let's get started shall we?" Jean adds.

"Jean and I have been talking and we are in agreement that there should be no more secrets between any of us at this table. After all we are more than just neighbours...we're family." My mum smiles and everyone around the table nods with approval and I feel Ethan's arm tighten around me as he holds me closer to his chest.

"Jean, did you want to start?..." my mum encourages and I see Jean take a deep breath. I put down my fork to give Jean my full attention and Ethan followed suit.

"As you all know, for many many years I've struggled with drink and depression...about four months ago...things got so bad that..." she trails off nervously before my mum takes her hand for support. Jean gives her a small smile back of appreciation before continuing, "Well I drank myself into oblivion one night after a particularly bad evening with your father and I...well... I took a large mixture of pills and tried to end it all."

I feel Ethan stiffen behind me and Caleb's mouth drop. Sammy chews his bottom lip with his eyes fixed downwards and I can see him take Phoebe's hand under the counter. This wasn't what any of us expected when we came down to breakfast this morning.

"I knew it was selfish, but everything was spiraling. I couldn't see a way out, but I panicked and ran from the house and Laura found me slumped outside on the porch. She came with me to hospital and for the last few months she's been taking me to see a counsellor. It's early days but I've been sober now for nearly three months. Girls, your mother really is an angel, she saved my life." Tears fall from Jean's face and my mum moves an arm around her to pull her into a warm hug.

I look to my sisters, but both of them seem just as surprised as me to Jean's confession. I'd seen Jean over our house a few times, but I was so stuck in my own little bubble of grief I'd not really thought any more about it, but looking now at them I can see a real bond of friendship has grown between them. My mum and Jean are right, there have been too many secrets between us all.

"Three months sober is amazing Jean, you're doing amazing. Don't you all think?" My mum turns to us all. Ethan gently drops me to my feet before he walks around and pulls his mum into a huge hug.

"I'm so proud of you mum, three months is so good." Ethan grins at her and I see Jean's shoulders sag with relief. One by one Sammy and Caleb both pull her into hugs to congratulate her before they return back to their seats and once again I'm pulled back onto Ethans lap.