Part 16 - This cheerleader is p*ssing me off!

MIA

For the last hour Joanie has been practising her latest cheer for the upcoming game on constant loop and i'm about to lose my shit if I hear it once more. There is only so much S-P-I-R-I-T I can deal with in one day. Seeing that Joanie is about to start over again, I grab a pillow and throw it at her full whack making Phoebe giggle.

"What the fuck Mia?" She pouts.

"Can you go do this in the garden or literally anywhere else?" I plead.

"No, it has to be perfect and It's raining dumb ass!" She rolls her eyes.

"You've nailed it, seriously. Give it a rest already. What's the big deal anyways?" I ask with phoney enthusiasm. I'm actually really not interested, but the longer I keep her talking the longer she's not chanting.

"Well we're playing against those skanks, the Ravens for one, so you know that's going to draw a big crowd, but also there is this huge party happening afterwards that i'm finally allowed to go too. All the football team are going and I don't want to fuck up my cheer and be too embarrassed to go. Do you remember when Hannah fell into the watercooler table and knocked it over? Well at the last party the guys threw loads of beer all over her! She kind of deserved it cause she made our squad look stupid the dork, but there is no way i'm getting beer soaked!" Joanie says matter of factly.

Dear god, what has actually happened to my sister.

I stare at Joanie for a good minute trying to think of the best way to phrase what I want to say. To try and get her to understand how unbelievably shallow she is sounding right now. For her to see the bigger picture here, did she even check how Hannah was? But my mind does a U turn and starts to focus on all the wrong things, the football team was going to the party?...would it include Ethan and Caleb?

"Are the Mavericks going to the party?" Now who's shallow, sorry Hannah!

"Yeah of course!" Joanie squeals and edges closer to me with pure excitement across her face. "...and I'm intending to make my move on Ethan finally! He always makes out with someone at these parties from what I've heard. This time, it's going to me!"

I feel sick.

I gulp hard and try to hide my disgust and jealousy right now, but anger is surging through me and I'm about to burst.

"Shit Joanie, I've just stepped on your pom pom and crushed it," shouts over Phoebe. Joanie's attention snaps to her precious pom poms and she storms off to where Phoebe is standing to assess the damage, screaming curses at Phoebe along the way.

I'm glued to my seat, still processing what Joanie has said when I notice Phoebe give me a small nod towards the stairs and a gentle smile.

She knows.

Of course she knows, Ethan tells Samuel everything and Sammy can't keep anything a secret from Phoebe.

Phoebe has created a distraction so I can escape and I fucking take it, running straight up the stairs into my bedroom, slamming my door behind as go. I press my back to my door and slide down till I hit the floor and just sit there trying to level off my breathing.

Ethan makes out with someone every time there's a party. Fuck, that sends shooting pains into my heart. I knew he was a player, he's always had that reputation, but I'd never listened to the details before. I've no idea of how many girls he's actually been with and I can guarantee they are all drop dead gorgeous. My insecurities are going through the roof right now. I rub my hands on my face and into my hair to try and relax, but it does nothing to help.

Then there's Joanie...I know he's not interested in her, he's told me so himself. I know he will shoot her down...right? I chew my lip for a minute before reaching for my phone.

'Joanie says she's going to make a move on you during the after game party...' I type.

God this looks so needy. I've not talked to Ethan since my Nanna's house days ago, things between us are weird at the minute to say the least. I've zero rights to even text him, but I can't let him get with Joanie.

I see dots moving on my phone and I can't help but hold my breath waiting to see what Ethan is typing back.

'Hey beautiful,' he types, which instantly makes me smile.

'I guess Caleb isn't the only person that needs to be told to back off. Can't wait to see you x'

I'm smiling like a smug Cheshire cat right now and all my anxiety disappears.

It hits me how much I want Ethan, if I wasn't sure before I do now. When other girls used to flirt with Caleb in the past right in front of me I never felt anything but annoyance. Nothing prepared me for the pure rage and jealousy I felt five minutes ago when Joanie told me about her after party plans.

Taking a deep breath I get back on my feet and make a promise to myself that by the end of this week I will tell Caleb everything, that I want to be with Ethan.